Shenandoah Valley style Chicken

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
As many of the Brethren know, Boshizzle (Joseph Haynes) has written a book on Virginia BBQ, and one of the recipes that was published in advance was the Shenandoah Valley-style Chicken. Now, this is a type of chicken I have wanted to try ever since ShencoSmoke told me about his dad's old open pit chicken cooks.

ch-mrn-1_zps0rhthjog.jpg

The marinade, there's a few elements, and honestly, I thought this was going to be pretty strong medicine for chicken. Of note, this recipe is actually designed for use with rear quarters, however, I am not supposed to eat those.

So, split chicken it was to be.
ch-rw-1_zpszzlshgdx.jpg

These were marinaded for 14 hours, then removed from the marinade and left out to sit for an hour.

ch-rw-2_zpsbwxd30on.jpg

From there (yes, I know it's upside down, it doesn't matter) it was on to the kettle, rear to the fire, which I had fired with Stubbs briquettes and hickory wood, there may have been some apple. I did mop the chicken twice during the cook, both sides were mopped. In any event, 300°-350°F, until the thigh stuck at 165°F and the breast was 150°F. Then off to rest.

ch-ck-1_zps9xi24k1i.jpg

Plated up with some Pea Shoots with fresh Shiitake mushrooms and fresh water chestnuts, over some rice.

ch-ck-2_zpsvz4hjdoy.jpg

ch-clo-2_zpsa3aclgmu.jpg

The chicken was tender and moist, the skin was nicely flavored, and it was quite subtle. Even with the marinade drizzled over the sliced breast, this was an excellent chicken flavor.

Is it just me or are those the most perfectly oval half birds you have ever seen? Awesome color too.

Is it just me or are those the most perfectly oval half birds you have ever seen? Awesome color too.
:-D

Yes, in fact, this was an amazing chicken. I had just checked the poultry case, and no whole birds. Was walking away, when the meat guy asked if I had been looking for chickens. He then opened up his box, and there, fresh from the truck, these perfect chickens. Could not have been fresher or more perfectly oval.

I will note, these cooked just like a fresh yardbird, like the one's we used to get from the chicken guy.

Looks fantastic!

Plate and veg looks great.... I still can't get past that rice (even with 3 years in Okinawa)...

Brother landarc, was this cook indirect for the entirety, or did you finish it direct? Just curious, I enjoy seeing how folks do things.

Brother landarc, was this cook indirect for the entirety, or did you finish it direct? Just curious, I enjoy seeing how folks do things.

I went indirect the entire way. However I'm sure some direct heat would've given it a nice char. Because I let it sit for an hour, the skin dried a bit, the indirect heat was enough to give me a thin, crisp skin.

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
Bob, that chicken looks marvelous! I will put this on my to-try list for sure.

Back