Any Southern hardwoods "bad" to use in a stickburner?

Chrisc133

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to pick up some free hardwoods to use in my Shirley. I was told they are a mix of hardwoods. Any particular hardwood I should look out for that won't produce good BBQ in my upcoming Shirley?

Black locust.....primo firewood but it tends to produce a smoke that does not smell appealing to me

When red oak is dry there is little to no difference between it and white oak when it comes to cooking. Not sure where the no red oak comment came from.

Yeah, I remembered you telling me that. That's why I wanted his take on it. We'll see.

Once and a while I'll get a red oak log that has a bacterial infection in it (I have a sawmill) and it smells awful! Other than that I use it in my Spicewine and have no problems with it.

When red oak is dry there is little to no difference between it and white oak when it comes to cooking. Not sure where the no red oak comment came from.

I sure have a lot of red oak---it's plentiful here. It's been cut and seasoned for about 7-8 months. Is it good to go for cooking?

Take two splits and smack them together. You want to hear a nice crisp crack, not a thud if that makes sense. I usually go 10 to 12 months on seasoning.

Last edited:
Back