Simple Smoke Roasted Chicken and Baby Backs

dsp2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
High heat smoke roasted chicken. One of the best tasting chickens I've ever had. Probably best I've ever cooked.

High heat smoke roasted pork baby backs. Crust was amazing. Only had 1 rib. Interesting. I won't say as good as low and slow "bbq" ribs, but very different and tasty. And incredibly simple.

Baby+Backs.jpg

chicken+side.jpg

chicken+whole.jpg

Bam!

Next thing I know, I've got ribs and bird in my face... and I want to take a bite out of both!

They look really darned good.... how'd you cook 'em and with what?

(Hope you don't mind my asking)

Thanks, everyone! And sorry for the huge pics. I was....ahem....drinking at the time....

I should have said "relatively high heat." High relative to smoking temps....not that high for chicken, overall.

I used the hot and fast method from the book, "Secrets to Smoking on the Weber Smokey Mountain and Other Cookers." Dump a chimney of unlit KBB into the lower section, then added a bunch of apple wood chunks, then added 1 lit chimney of KBB. Waited maybe 20-30 minutes and had a clean fire and temps a little above 350.

I'd seasoned the chicken with SPOG (lots of P!) after rubbing with extra virgin olive oil. After 2 hours, the breast was in the 160s (164 in the thickest part I tried). I let it rest of about 15 minutes. It was awesome. My 4.5 year old ate an embarrassingly large amount. I was so proud!

I left the baby backs on for almost 3.5 hours. The one I sampled was good. The bark was great!

I love the WSM. Can effortlessly do 250-300 with a minion method, and now can effortlessly do 350 with this hot and fast method.

Back