Chuckie Methods

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Most chuck roast cooks I see here involve panning it with some veggies and beef broth or beer (or both) after a few hours of smoke.

Does anyone else have a different route? Why is that the general style?

If I smoke one and pull it like a butt, would it be good, or does it need all that help?

What are some other ways you cook chuckies?

Oh my goodness no! Cook it like a butt! SPOG and let it rest,....then pull it like a butt......best dang tacos, chilli, or just shredded beef Sammie's EVER with a slice of provolone on top!!!

I am not an avid chuck cooker, but I like having the veggies and beer cook in the beef juice and then pull it all in the same pan.

I usually do the same with my butts, when I wrap, I usually put it in a pan and add apple juice or cola. Then I will pull the butt from the pan, let it smoke a bit out of the pan, and then I will return to the pan and pull it allowing all those juices to get mixed in.

(not sure a chuck has enough fat to keep it moist without panning it)

I like KISS method. I did these Saturday - two three pounders. Salt, pepper and Mrs Dash rub while pit was coming to temp. RO lump and some pecan chunks. I just let them ride like this until they're probe tender. Removed to rest while ABTs cooked. Shredded after about 90 minute rest and put on fresh potato buns, plain. Used one for sammies and one for chili yesterday. Excuse the pic, was only meant to let friends know supper time was fast-approaching.

IMG_20160924_155934908.jpg

Thanks for the post. I had the same question. I have never done a chuck either always just got with a tri-tip. However them darn taco's look darn way-no.to this white boy.

I assume you cook at 275-300 till @ 195 then probe. Wrap or pan at 160-165. I need to get with the program

I never use vegetables for a chuck. I smoke it just like a pork butt and then pull it. Great stuff for most everything.

I usually cook it like a brisket.. Cook to probe tender, slice, and eat. Makes great sammies that way too

I know you mean BBQ but the way my family always them then growing up was to cut them into 1"-2" cubes, then brown them, the add a healthy amount of sliced onions, salt & pepper to taste and pressure cook them for 20-30 mins. You get an awesome sauce that is incredible over white rice.

The alternative was to add a new heads of garlic instead of the onions. Once done you can toss in some fried potato cubes and stir them to soak up the juices.

Got to say I've never met a better chuck roast made any other way.

Back