Tacos Al Pastor - Hangin' in the Shirley

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while. Finally got around to it today. I borrowed the basic recipe from Serious Eats - LINK

Started out with some Guajillo and Ancho peppers. Toasted them, then reconstituted..

then I toasted spices and chipotles, then blended it all together.

Sliced up a pork butt into thinnish slices..

Coated the slices and bagged them in the fridge for 24 hours.

The next day I gathered the needed pieces. A while back I made some skewers with hanging in the shirley in mind. Here's the build thread - LINK I also built this little plate when I tried hanging ground meat for gyros. It didn't really work for that, but I always thought it would be good for something like this.. LINK

I used bacon fat trimming from a batch of bacon. I put 3 or 4 big slabs in between every few pieces, so that as the fat rendered it would baste the meat. Then I started building. Its about 5lbs of meat, adn as I got toward the end, that thing started getting heavier than expected..

Got an oak fire going in the warmer, and once it was up to temp, put her in there..

bout an hour in

There was no room in the warmer, so I fired up the weber to smoke some veggies for salsa verde. can't have al pastor without it

meat is coming along

Veggies are done

Put the tomatillos, japs, onion, some garlic, lime juice, and salt in the food processor

Am I the only one who uses mason jars for everything?

Gettin' close

Done. Internal temp was 160

Chopped it up. Vac Sealed a bunch for later meals

Fired up the Shirley shagstone..

Also made some Spanish rice. Dinner is served

This did not suck!

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited:
Day-um, Shaggy!

Between you and Sako out west, I think I've gained 10 lbs just fartin' around on the forum this evening.

Looks amazing, brother!

Wow amazing post! Great photos as usual Shag. Id have to kill about 5 of those.

Those look amazing! I used the same serious eats recipe, and cooked on a vertical rotisserie mod I did in my pg500. They were also very good.

You have to try this salsa with them. The orange sauce from this book buzzed in the blender with pineapple is amazing.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1607745623/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454208575&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=tacolicious+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=614EHOpydcL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

You did the real deal! I made this for my co-workers last August and they've been asked (demanding) it ever since. I really like your salsa idea. Looks awesome!!!!

Good lord - that is one of the best looking cooks I've seen in a long time. Amazing.

Mind sharing the details on the salsa verde? Love that stuff.

FNA that looks awesome Bro!

Oh I want some right now!

Next visit, Paul.. Plan on staying an extra day, we'll do it up!

Good lord - that is one of the best looking cooks I've seen in a long time. Amazing.

Mind sharing the details on the salsa verde? Love that stuff.

It was real simple. Smoked the tomatillos, jalapenos, onion. Added 4 cloves garlic, cilantro, juiced a lime, added some salt, blitzed it all in the food processor.

Last edited:
Back