Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I'd be checking that clock 6 times a day just to watch the count down! But you have every reason to be excited. Hope I am in the same boat some day. I'm telling the Warden there is 4 moth lead time on all cookers just to force the issue!

I am another person playing the waiting game. Was told 12 weeks last week when I ordered it. I feel like a kid in the car wanting to ask my parents over and over if we are there yet!

I see most out there are using briquettes. Does anyone use lump or do most use briquettes?

I am another person playing the waiting game. Was told 12 weeks last week when I ordered it. I feel like a kid in the car wanting to ask my parents over and over if we are there yet!

I see most out there are using briquettes. Does anyone use lump or do most use briquettes?

Ya its a painful wait...Well worth it though!

I have always used briquettes. A lot more predictable temps and longer burns. If you are a stickler about holding particular temps, briquettes are the way to go. There is no reason not to use lump if that's a preference, its all about preference and style in the end....

Only thing I will say about lump, and it goes back to my WSM usage, is that you may need to pack it in there so you don't get temp fluctuations. I like KBB, so that's what I will use.

Only thing I will say about lump, and it goes back to my WSM usage, is that you may need to pack it in there so you don't get temp fluctuations. I like KBB, so that's what I will use.

I'm with you on this too Terry. Lots of guys here like to low rate KBB but I turn out some exceptionally good food using it. It is cheap and consistent and readily available everywhere. There is a couple hundred pounds of KBB in my garage just waiting for the new LSG to arrive. :wink:

I have run lump in my WSM's and although it worked and the food was good, I had to fiddle with the cooker to keep temps even.

I can feel you all's pain going through the wait, however my LSG IVC arrived yesterday. With the help of a few buddies got it put into place. Hoping to season it today and maybe get my first cook on Super Bowl Sunday.

I tried to get through the whole thread, but I may have skipped over a couple things. I am in the market for a new smoker and very interested in the Lone Stars. I am definitely looking for an insulated veritical smoker, but cannot settle on which one. I like many features of the Lone Stars but I have a couple questions i havent been able to find answers to.

1. How much insulation is in one of these guys? I like to cook in cold windy Iowa winters and like the idea of the 2" insulation i see on some other smokers.

2. Is there a disadvantage to letting the smoke cup around the water pan then out the top vs it going up the sides of the wall and exiting through the bottom of the cooking chamber like backwoods? I would imagine the latter creates a more even cooking temp from top to bottom, but I could very well be incorrect.

Well I live in Iowa in the wind ( I know what you mean) and I am say just yesterday I cooked in 20 degree weather with 35 mph wind and the guys who were at my place were amazed that the needle didn't move at all! 225 degrees for 12 hours on 7 lbs of charcoal. This cabinet was made for you round smoking. It does take a while to come up to temp when it's 10 degrees outside however. What is what weed burners are for!

How y'all getting your probe wires into the cabinet? A port or just through the door?

Through the door. Sometimes on the left side drooped over the top hinge (seems to be the best place actually), and sometimes on the right side drooped just above the latch (better access to the table).

Doors and cables all good. No kinks and no leaks. Works fine. Sometimes depending on probe placement the wires can get in the way as I load and unload, but still tolerable.

I wouldn't want to risk drilling holes in this sucker...

For those of you with upcoming builds, order the tie down rings. They double as probe holders from drooping down.

The deed is done! I just got off the phone with Chris & ordered the LSG Mini! Feeling good because he mentioned it might not take as long as 12 weeks. This was a long thread with a lot of great information. The only options I did not get were the t plates & custom paint. I did add a tow ring to the bottom of the smoker to hook up a winch cable to pull it up on a trailer. Now, to experience what everyone else here has gone/is going through.....the waiting game!

If it helps the wait, I ordered my big cabinet on 12/17 and got the build email today. Almost 8 weeks to the day they start to build and should be done by 10 weeks.

Back