***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

I usually do flour>wash>flour at 450 for about 30-35 minutes on the warming rack in the weber and have great results. What temp do you recommend with the roti?

Going over the live fire it's been 450-500 ish and that infra red off the fire really fries it good. The last time i did it with panko it had a crispy shell on them that you could hear by tapping on the outside. lol Now this was with no lid being over the fire so 400-450* should be good with a lid I'd think.

53 lbs of turkey...don't know if i posted this cook in here yet. It was some fine tasting birds, they were spatched and hung with 2 hooks each.

So, being a Newb doing roto ( I haven't done it in over 30 yrs, and never wood fired). I bought the OneGrill set up. I wasn't sure of which one to buy to fit one of my UDS's and be able to still use my drum as built. I received the OneGrill yesterday. Ended up modifying the rod as I needed 5 to 6" more in length but not stick out to far as room is limited. So I added a metric bolt for my extension. Got everything set up, Talked to Fwismoker and started with a flank steak. Normally I cook a flank steak around 12 min's total. I let the steak go to 125*/30 min's. Then on went the pork chops that I marinated in Frank's Red Hot. I used almost all of a "mini log" bag from HD ( $25). But everything came out great. 1 1/2 hrs to get the chops to 170*. But I must admit, the 30 MPH winds did affect the time of the cook. With the way I installed the OneGrill, I can still close the lid completely and shut the cooker down, or close the lid partially while cooking when required. Worked quite well!
So here is some photo's to show today's cook.

So, being a Newb doing roto ( I haven't done it in over 30 yrs, and never wood fired). I bought the OneGrill set up. I wasn't sure of which one to buy to fit one of my UDS's and be able to still use my drum as built. I received the OneGrill yesterday. Ended up modifying the rod as I needed 5 to 6" more in length but not stick out to far as room is limited. So I added a metric bolt for my extension. Got everything set up, Talked to Fwismoker and started with a flank steak. Normally I cook a flank steak around 12 min's total. I let the steak go to 125*/30 min's. Then on went the pork chops that I marinated in Frank's Red Hot. I used almost all of a "mini log" bag from HD ( $25). But everything came out great. 1 1/2 hrs to get the chops to 170*. But I must admit, the 30 MPH winds did affect the time of the cook. With the way I installed the OneGrill, I can still close the lid completely and shut the cooker down, or close the lid partially while cooking when required. Worked quite well!
So here is some photo's to show today's cook.

Looks great Tom! Chops sure took a while... You took them to 170* you say? That steak looks fantastic too.

If you ever move the spit down into the drum more the wind won't effect it but as long as you can put your lid on like you did without snuffing out the fire that will sure help. One of my first cooks was at a buddies lake cottage and we had fairly steady 35-40 mph winds coming off the lake all day and it didn't affect the cook one bit... kinda nice.

I keep an eye out for fallen trees in the neighborhood and check on craigslist for free wood people people have cut up and want to get rid of. I'll take those 2" to 5" branches all day long. The skinnier burn great without splitting and the larger ones split real easy with a Harbor Freight wood splitter. Nothing like free fire wood for cooking! If you're going to wood cook more a wood splitter is a must have and a chain saw sure is nice.

Some might laugh but I picked up an electric chainsaw to replace a gas powered and it works pretty dang good. If I want to take it on the road then I plan on picking up one of those little HF portable generators.

Last edited:
Spun some legs the other night. Turned out very good but have a couple of changes for next time to perfect it.

24271807353_be3bea4f19_h.jpg

24898691705_7ac366f2af_h.jpg

Looks great Tom! Chops sure took a while... You took them to 170* you say? That steak looks fantastic too.
If you ever move the spit down into the drum more the wind won't effect it but as long as you can put your lid on like you did without snuffing out the fire that will sure help. One of my first cooks was at a buddies lake cottage and we had fairly steady 35-40 mph winds coming off the lake all day and it didn't affect the cook one bit... kinda nice. I keep an eye out for fallen trees in the neighborhood and check on craigslist for free wood people people have cut up and want to get rid of. I'll take those 2" to 5" branches all day long. The skinnier burn great without splitting and the larger ones split real easy with a Harbor Freight wood splitter. Nothing like free fire wood for cooking! If you're going to wood cook more a wood splitter is a must have and a chain saw sure is nice. Some might laugh but I picked up an electric chainsaw to replace a gas powered and it works pretty dang good. If I want to take it on the road then I plan on picking up one of those little HF portable generators.
I didn't want the roto further down into the drum. I only plan on doing roto once in awhile compared to all my other cooking. Where I placed it, I do not believe there is much chance of burning the food. At least not very quickly. And it did not change anything as far as my UDS regular usage. But that is me.
As far as the wood, I didn't want some junky smelling wood that is available around here. We burn that stuff in a fire pit and it does not smell nice/clean like cooking wood. But maybe that doesn't matter doing roto? I didn't want to chance it. And not sure I would chance having bad tasting food when I know what the good stuff will do.
I used to have an electric chain saw, and it worked great! One of my kids "borrowed" it and they loaned it out to there friends, now it's gone. I took a few smaller trees down with that thing and cut them up.
Yes I take pork chops to 170*. Wife said they came out perfect, crispy fat edges, yet dripping juices coming out of the meat. I don't eat chops. Only ribs, bacon, shoulder.

Looks good to me. What cooker did you use and what are doing different next time?

My weber s330. Only grill I can roto on until kamado joe releases a roto for the big joe.

Next time I'm going to flour hours ahead of time and let it get wet. I think it'll produce a better crust. Might spray some oil on too. Will also cook at 450 instead of 425.

Wow you fellows are really loading up those pits and sure turning out some fine looking food !!!

Oh I have been eyeing one of these .....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013T93TDI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1R5C9DFO84RXY&coliid=IT023GZTWAXYJ"]Amazon.com : Onlyfire 18.5 Inch Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie Ring Kit for Charcoal Grill Models by Weber, Char Broil, Kingsford and jumbo joe, WSM Cookers : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AIgM2thgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41AIgM2thgL[/ame]

my wife wanted a CB roto for valentines day but i dropped the ball

i hope she still wants it when her b-day come in april

Shagdog's Tacos Al Pastor cook inspired me to give it a try:

PICT1624_zpslsqgiyld.jpg

PICT1635_zpslvth3wxf.jpg

Hers:

PICT1650_zps1zqscasu.jpg

His:

PICT1653_zpsbf94c1jh.jpg

Mas fino!

There's lot of leftovers & I'm gonna have one of these for breakfast in a while. :becky:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crtS-tgsfiU"]Build your own Pig Roast! - YouTube[/ame]

Back