TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Took the bird for a spin on Thanksgiving. Came out great. Used molasses as most of the sugar element in the brine which I believe helped give it the darker finished color. Apple wood. A little over 16# in less than 3 hours.

12290515_148704775488324_748580269_o.jpg

I am north of NYC. I smoked a 20# turkey today in a 22" Weber.
I used a 2x2 snake - about 7/8 of the kettle.
The turkey was cooked in about 4 1/2 hours
BUT here is the problem:
It was 50 degrees outside today and i couldn't get the kettle about 325. I had the lower and upper vents wide open.
I don't know why.
any thoughts?
I am starting to think the BGE might be the way to go (but it is so damn expensive)

Thanks Guys
Mark

If you're talking about a 22.5 WSM, then that's about all the heat you're going to get out of one. When I've forgotten and left my vents wide open and an entire bag of charcoal in there, 325 is the hottest it's ever gotten.
Fortunately, because I'd have ruined a LOT of food over the years forgetting to close down the lower vents if it got hotter.

If you're talking about a 22.5 WSM, then that's about all the heat you're going to get out of one. When I've forgotten and left my vents wide open and an entire bag of charcoal in there, 325 is the hottest it's ever gotten.
Fortunately, because I'd have ruined a LOT of food over the years forgetting to close down the lower vents if it got hotter.

Yea that's the one. Thought I could get it hotter and have it go longer

Not to my knowledge. Maybe with some mods, like larger intake and exhaust vents I suppose.
But now that I've typed that, there is a devise that's made to fit a WSM that attaches to the intake vents and blows air into it. Can't recall the name of it, but I'm sure somebody will come along and let us know. I would think that would get you higher temps.

18 lb

This is an 18 lb that I did on the Weber Kettle 22.5. I cooked it at 350 with a set of coals on each side of Turkey. I used a roaster pan and flipped turkey after an hour. Started with Breast up and ended with Breast up. After the 2nd hour I cooked directly on grill grate for final cook. It started raining on me so had to move grill and not ideal cooking environment but managed temp with no problems. Used quarter apples with onion in cavity and used gravy that came with turkey to put in bottom of roaster pan then rubbed turkey with poultry seasoning,butter,garlic mix. 2 cups water in pan in between coals to maintain and stabilize temps. Grill cooled off when turkey was put on but was able to get temp up pretty quick. I did this couple of days ago since all I got was complaints about cooking a turkey as they wanted ham and my shrimp,chicken,sausage jambalaya. First time of me cooking turkey on grill. Cooked breast temp at 170 then foiled for .5 hour. Wife called Daughter to invite her and the grand kids for supper since we had a big turkey. Never seen wife or daughter eat so much turkey plus we froze some as well kept some for sandwiches. Turkey had flavor all the way thru breast and was juicy as heck. All of us agree best turkey we ever ate. Over all don't think we will be frying or cooking turkey in oven again. Took 2.5 hours on grill and .5 rest if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• WP_20151201_13_35_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151201_13_35_47_Pro.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 283
Iv'e been cookin a few turkey breasts & butts for several years to give to a few friends for presents. I enjoy the giving, & damn sure enjoy the cookin. Lots of good tips on turkeys here, especially to get the skin crisper. I'm goin to inject em, rub em with bakin powder & a good rub, them cook em at 350 till done.

22.5" Weber converted to gas with a Cajun Bandit, & Amazin Smoker Tube

a lb of melted butter, & 2oz bottles each of onion juice, & garlic juice. I can do 2 5 to 8lb turkey breasts with that amount. Gives it a damn good taste.

I am doing a turkey on Friday. A couple of questions. I am thawing it right now in cold water for about 6 hours (12 lb bird). Then I was going to let it sit in the fridge over night about 8-12hours. Then I a plan to start the brine for 24 hours. On Thursday I plan to let it rest for about 24 hours in the fridge. Then inject and smoke for around 4 hours. How does this all sound? Am I missing anything? The injection above sounds good too.

Cooking a #20 on my Traeger at 325 tomorrow. Should I put turkey on the smoke setting for an hour and then crank it to 325 to finish cook or just start and finish @325?

I would smoke for an hour then cook to finish. Mine is going on the UDS soon! Merry Christmas!

Anyone ever inject bacon grease into a turkey as a way to add flavor and maintain moisture? Just an idea I'm throwing around.

Anyone ever inject bacon grease into a turkey as a way to add flavor and maintain moisture? Just an idea I'm throwing around.

Whoops! I'm a newbie.

I have injected many turkeys over the years. Never have I used bacon grease, but I bet it would be great. Usually, I inject homemade jerk sauce or homemade bbq sauce. Or, a combo of melted butter and bbq sauce. Injecting a turkey is a wonderful way to add another layer of flavor, and provides extra moisture in the turkey. Tip: it is worth ~$20 to invest in a Made in USA injector if you plan to do injecting on a regular basis.

I haven't, but I'd sure be curious to know how it turns out!

I inject with melted butter all the time. Fat is fat I suppose and bacon grease is GREAT TASTING FAT so I don't know why it wouldn't work!

Back