MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Lone Star Grillz offset owners?!!

I have finally made the decision that I am going to go with an offset over the mini-insulated cabinet. I am looking at the 1/2” firebox upgrade versus the insulated firebox. What are your temp fluctuations like and how much wood are you using for a long Brisket cook? How often are you adding logs?

If you own the 1/2”, how is the hot plate and grill top working out for you? Doing pizzas?

Thanks for your input!!
DFoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I've got the 1/4" firebox on a LSG vertical offset and on average it's a split every 30-45 mins. I don't have the grill top because I upgraded to the warming oven option so can't help you there but someone else will chime in I'm sure. I think you'll only notice savings in fuel is if you go with insulated. IIRC Chris said 1/2" FB will save you about 15% in fuel consumption compared to a 1/4".

Only fluctuation is temps starting to drop due to it being time for a new spit then it comes right back up once a new split is tossed it. It's an offset so it's not going to run precise like any other cooker but then again the temps swings are slight and don't have an effect on your cook. You just have to let her run where she's happy and my LSG VO is at 275 as is with most offsets. You can play with it but no need to IMHO.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Awesome, thanks for the info. How do you like product put out?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
dannypat21
is One Chatty Farker

I also have a vertical offset with standard firebox. I personally feel that in the California climate you don't need to upgrade the firebox and can put that money towards other upgrades. Like Sako I am adding a split every 30 to 45 minutes. I have only used the firebox grill top a handful of times but it works great and I love having the option to use the griddle. I own 2 Weber charcoal grills so I use those for convenience on smaller cooks. If I could add something that I didn't get when I ordered I would extend the stainless steel shelf out more to hold full size aluminum pans. I love everything about the smoker, have no complaints.
Weber Performer

Follow my cooks live on Instagram @trewbarbecue
dannypat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFoster View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. How do you like product put out?
Absolutely love it! Hands down the best bbq is off of an offset smoker. It's a bit of a work but well worth the effort.

Just make sure an offset is for you because there are instances where people bought them and realized it wasn't for them. I've got multiple grills/smokers so I put each in rotation and works great for me.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
ssv3

What Danny said BTW. Great point on being from southern CA we don't need more than 1/4" fb. It's freaking 85* today and has been for the past couple weeks and we're in February.

Wouldn't hurt to have a 1/2" but I thought it was pointless for me.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
SmittyJonz

I’d get Both........ offset AND insulated cabinet.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

I don't have a LSG but have a Klose with the same fit/finish and 1/4" firebox. Add will add wood like the others every 30-45 minutes.

My opinion is a insulated or 1/2" is not needed. I've never once used my grill top. I would skip on it next time. Thats just me.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Insulated will be down the road. I have a Traeger to do my times where I need to walk away for extended times. What would you purchase first though?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
DFoster
Knows what a fatty is.

Living in Fresno we get below 32 during the winter. Do you still think it wouldn’t be worth it?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
Lobsterbake
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

I have an insulated firebox on my Shirley and love how it holds heat and it doesn’t take much wood to maintain temp. I live in GA and got an insulated FB for the heat retention, paint preservation and wood savings. I think it is worth it personally for these reasons and is a one time cost spread out over years of benefit. I would guess it saves at least 30% on wood.
Lobsterbake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFoster View Post
Living in Fresno we get below 32 during the winter. Do you still think it wouldn’t be worth it?
I guess you have to ask yourself how many times do you see yourself using it on the coldest days of the year. I used my offset on a 5° day once because I promised my guests I'd make a brisket and over a 9 hour cook, I may have used one or two extra splits. At that rate, you need to do a lot of cooks to pay for an upgraded firebox. Considering where you live, I don't think it is worth it. Now, if you are already ordering every other option they offer and you still have money burning a hole in your pocket, than upgrade the box. I can see ordering an insulated firebox if you have young children that might be walking near the pit but that's about it. As far as the grill top feature or cooking a pizza, I don't use the offset since I have a Big Green Egg. Temperature control for grilling and the cleanup time is better on the Egg. I have occasionally used the offset grill if I am already smoking something and I want a snack but I could have lived without that feature. If this will be the only outdoor cooker you own though, I'd say you might use it more than most of us who have other options.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #13
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Some folks order thicker or insulated fireboxes so the outside stays cooler and maybe the paint finish will stay nicer, and I guess I understand that. But I've never understood ordering it that way to save on wood. In the first place, cash in hand up front should be worth more than some perceived savings in wood use, a little here and a little there, over the coming years. But more importantly, IMHO at least, the whole purpose and function of an offset stickburner is to smoke meat with wood smoke. Given that, I just don't understand spending more money to design and build it in such a way that it will smoke less by burning less wood.

Of course, you don't want something thin, cheap, or low quality, that won't hold a temp or provide you a quality experience using it. But something 1/8 to 1/4 usually does great.

I do think something thicker or insulated might be useful to counter really cold climes, but not in Fresno. I've used mine in rain, cold, sleet, and snow and never had an issue. So my 2 cents (and that's all it's worth) would be to stick with 1/4 and use the 1/2 or insulated charges for savings or other features.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #14
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Some people go insulated because they have children around and don't want them to learn the hard way that a firebox is hot.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #15
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

I have an insulated firebox on my LSG vertical offset. Pretty much the only reason I got it was due to small grandchildren running around. Does it use less wood? I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first stick burner. I do cut my firewood into 6"-8" lengths and if cooking at 250* only have to put only one in the firebox in order to maintain it. There is no need to build/maintain anything larger than a small fire at that temp. That changes sometimes when I cook at 275*.

Another plus, I guess, is the additional preservation of the paint on the firebox.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote