• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much time for chicken legs ???

sportsnut

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got a couple beer can chickens, a Fatty and a dozen chicken legs. These are going on my 22" WSM. I have the beer can chickens on now at 275*
I'm wondering how long the legs will take ? The legs are hanging in a leg rack and ready to go.

TIA

Ron

I have not cooked just legs. The whole chicken or even quarters for that matter, take around 2-3 hours. If you have a thermo, stick one after an hour and a half or so till the temp is close to 180.

I do legs on a leg rack often. On the weber grill or chargriller, hot bed of coals offset from the legs, a couple chunks of apple wood. Rotate the rack every 20 minutes or so. I don't really check the grill temp, guessing 325-375, they usually take about a buck fifteen (1:15). I check the temp in the thick part. If the thermo says 180, we eat.

I do legs at 250-275, usually takes about 2.5 hours... I usually use the Mega, cuz I can fit about 6 racks per grate. Rotate racks directly aboe fire ring to outside and vise versa only once. Once legs get to about 170 I take lid off till flames are licking the legs, then open all vents, put lid back on for about ten minutes just to crisp skin.

Here is a shot of the goodies. Legs have been on for two hours and are at 165*. Fatty is getting ready to get pulled off in about 5 min. Beer can chickens are at 165* after 4 hrs.

P7050002.jpg

P7050001.jpg

P7050003.jpg

Back