Cooking whole hog

Roaster

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Doing a whole hog this weekend. Just wondering what other people rub the hog with. I have used some homemade rub and olive oil. I cook the pig butterfly the whole cook. Have tried flipping but falls apart when trying.

You could just use S&P.

Any good commercial rub would suffice. Oakridge, Simply Marvelous, BPS, 3 Eyez and on and on.

I wouldn't worry about flipping. Make sure you foil the snout and ears so they don't get too dark.

8:30AM Hams @ 152 degree's shoulders @ 172 Degree's

That looks awesome! Be trying my first whole hog in 3 weeks so I'm soaking in as much as I can until then.

Finished pig

Attachments

• IMG_20160612_130039_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20160612_130039_hdr.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20160612_130007_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20160612_130007_hdr.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 158
drooling as I type!

What was your total cook time? I am trying a 35lber 2nd of July. Gonna give it 4 hours heavy smoke in my 20x40 tejas smoker. Then foil it until 190* in the hams. what do you folks think about how I want to cook and more importantly how much time to take?

The pig was 100 pounds. I was figuring on 10 pounds in a hour. Cooking temp was around 250.
I cooked the pick for 13 hours. The shoulders were at 195 and the hams at 180. I had to pull the pig as everyone was waiting to eat. I usually like to have the pick rest for a hour. I have to do another on July 3. This time I am going to add two more hours for cooking time. I have never foiled anything except ears and tail. Keep me informed how things go.

When I did mine I rubbed with plowboys yardbird and injected with creole butter. I also butterflied but had skin side down. main reason I knew I couldn't flip it. turned out wonderful. skin was perfect golden brown and meat was very juicy.

Smokin ribs

How big and what was the weight? I have to do one next weekend. I want to try other methods but don't want to try on some bodys elses pig. I am thinking of getting a hog to try a different way

Back