Wood Fired Phyllo Wings Del Rogue, 007-style

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I made these as simple as possible to see what I would end up with. A mayo slather, salt/coarse black pepper.

Start up. Burning oak. Ethereal smell...
IMG_20160624_190132614_HDR_zpsgdplvnfz.jpg

I quickly ramped the temp up to 400F. No real fear of burning from this distance from the fire. No concerns of flare-ups, either.
IMG_20160624_191504249_zps5tr5dgzz.jpg

Part way in, and sizzling like crazy. Temp at 450F.
IMG_20160624_192851737_zps9yk83bb3.jpg

Done. Skin like phyllo. Next time I'll double the amount. No hooks required!
IMG_20160624_194753984_zpsh9zfbekf.jpg

IMG_20160624_194844090_zpshhor8nbn.jpg

Dinner.
IMG_20160624_195121298_zpszvdizqy1.jpg

That mayo does make a difference doesn't it.
:clap::clap::clap:

Beer, wings, pizza, sitting by the river, it doesn't get any better.

Great looking wings and great view. Perfect way to eat a meal.

That mayo does make a difference doesn't it.
:clap::clap::clap:

IDK it matters for this style of cooking. The infra red from the fire is what renders and crisps up the skin....BUT since I might know where to locate a 007 cooker (or two) :biggrin1: I'll do a side by side comparison of wings cooked up on the swivel 1/2 with and without and will cook around the same temp as rogues.

I did the side by side. For us, the mayo won big time.
You should be able to see which thighs have mayo and which do not. Just from the top side. :bow:

I did the side by side. For us, the mayo won big time.
You should be able to see which thighs have mayo and which do not. Just from the top side. :bow:
Tom right where these are in the cook I'd have the skin flipped down facing the fire. It's always skin up to start and down to finish...that's why in the end it's moot I think (at least with my style of flipping)

You should have seen the crispiness of these thighs...OMG never in a million years would they have needed mayo slather with how nice and crisp they finished.

well shoot I gotta try this mayo trick...
Looks like ya smear it on fairly thin, right...

well shoot I gotta try this mayo trick...
Looks like ya smear it on fairly thin, right...
I use a wooden spoon to slather it on. It is just how I do it.
This is after the flip from my prior photo. The top side gets even crispier after the flip.

Tom I'll cook some thighs for you like this at our cook this Summer. Yes it's not grate cooked so it's not the same but definitely incredibly juicy and extremely crisp skin...tiny bubbles of rendered goodness on the skin.

That looks fantastic Jim, now I want pizza and wings for breakfast!

Fwismoker is rotissering in the photo. Bad comparison. This is my first time using mayo, per ebijack's older post. I could do a comparison, but I doubt the need to.

Fwismoker is rotissering in the photo. Bad comparison. This is my first time using mayo, per ebijack's older post. I could do a comparison, but I doubt the need to.

Hey now it's ok to recognize good looking thighs...even on the spinner! lol

:caked:

Back