• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mayo + Brisket

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Oh yes... I have a herd of packers in my fridge from the Kroger grand opening so I can spare one for this mayo craze.

I'm also trying the overnight seasoning thing so this thing is heading to the smoker tomorrow night. Picture below is before the S&P. The mini briskets in the corner will be plain and mustard rubbed.

b2d9bff5e35af118cc97c69d6f2436b7.jpg

Wow, can't wait to see how this turns out...eagerly awaiting results. Just S&P + regular mayo?

I think your experiment will turn out good OP but I do think you might be stroking out some of your neighbors. Lol

Okay, I'm going to be the first to say that I just don't get this mayo craze. I really don't understand this fascination with mayo.

Mayo is nothing but emulsified oil. Big deal. It's just another binder for whatever you're going to put on the cook. Instead of mustard, which is yesterday's news, we're using mayo. Big deal.

C'mon guys. There is more than enough knowledge here to not be enthralled by simply another binder for a rub on a cook.

There is nothing magical going on here with mayo.

Okay, I'm going to be the first to say that I just don't get this mayo craze. I really don't understand this fascination with mayo.

Mayo is nothing but emulsified oil. Big deal. It's just another binder for whatever you're going to put on the cook. Instead of mustard, which is yesterday's news, we're using mayo. Big deal.

C'mon guys. There is more than enough knowledge here to not be enthralled by simply another binder for a rub on a cook.

Incorrect. It isn't just another binder. There was was an article posted recently about the science behind it.

That said, I personally wouldn't rush to use it on brisket. OTOH I definitely wouldn't criticize people willing to test new things and help all of us LEARN.

It's been reported here and I know of others who use it on poultry with good results. Not sure if it will do any good on a brisket, but I don't think it will hurt it any. Looking forward to your results.

What is the purpose of the binder? Is it so more rub will stick? I rub lean cuts with olive oil to try to seal in as much fat as possible, but I've never had a problem with sufficient rub sticking to meat.

What is the purpose of the binder? Is it so more rub will stick? I rub lean cuts with olive oil to try to seal in as much fat as possible, but I've never had a problem with sufficient rub sticking to meat.

That's a trick question because the purpose(s) of the mayo is not to be a "binder."

In grilling it brings both oil and moisture and the emulsifiers help it stick to the meat better than plain oil or water based mops or sprays. It protects the meat, the mayo moisture evaporates before meat moisture, it keeps meat from sticking, and it aids browning.

I guess it should do the same things for a brisket is a low(er) and slow(er) cook but I have never tried it.

Hmm, mustard, now mayo.......I want to see a ketchup or relish slather. :-D

I put 2 butts on the PBC a couple hours ago. Wish I had remembered the mayo. Curious to try it.

Bob

Please share results. I'm curious too!

I totally disagree. Mayo is the greatest thing since sliced bread (and on it, now that i think about it).

For the mayo nay sayers and fence sitters I challenge you do do the simple mayo challenge test, prepare two identical grilled cheese sandwiches only difference is apply mayo to the outside of one sandwich and apply butter the the outside of the other then grill as normal. Most folks will prefer the flavor of the one grilled using mayo over butter. Something about the grilled caramelized mayo kicks it up a notch.

Back