difference in lump and briquettes!!

capri man

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
ok i finally found some lump down here. dont know why it is so scarce?? anyhoo do i use it any different than regular briquetts?? i have never even ever seen any untill i bought it yesterday. thanks in advance.

lump makes sparks; watch the flip flop mod. hotter and quicker & less ash than kingsford also.

If you are used to using briquettes, then don't forget to put less lump because it burns hotter. Good luck, and I prefer lump by the way.

lump makes sparks; watch the flip flop mod. hotter and quicker & less ash than kingsford also.

This past month was the first time I've ever used lump. I use about half the amount compared to charcoal and it seems to burn hotter and longer. I only use it to get my stick burner up to temp; then its "sticks only" from there. As previously stated it makes a lot of sparks when lighting. I probably would not personally use it in my charcoal grill, but it has been great for starting my offset smoker.

Lump produces far less ash since there are no binders involved. This is much better for long burn times since the air flow is easier to maintain.

I use lump only for low and slow cooking and will use briquettes for grilling as often as not.

I like lump because you can sear steaks and burgers alot better.Temp must be 150 degrees higher than briquettes.

Keri C has talked about using lit briquettes over the top of unlit lump when she does the Minion method at times. I haven't tried this yet, but have thought about it.

funny you bring this up - we experimented with lump this weekend on 4 racks of ribs. 1 WSM with 2 funnles of K and the other WSM with a funnel and a 1/2 of Cowboy.

We used the Brinkman water pan filled with water with the lump and the WSM standard pan filled with water with the K.

Lump smelled much better, did not leave that odd flavor in the meat that K does and it did burn hotter and faster. I liked it better.

Next w/e we are going to try the K mixed with lump on a butt and see what happens.

here's the proof. :biggrin:

Attachments

• bbq 8.06.08 032.jpg
    bbq 8.06.08 032.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 182
  • bbq 8.06.08 039.jpg
    bbq 8.06.08 039.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 182
the lump i got actually has no brand name on it. it just says "the original lump" it is in spanish on one side and english on the other. i think it is made in nc.

the lump i got actually has no brand name on it. it just says "the original lump" it is in spanish on one side and english on the other. i think it is made in nc.

Where did you get it capri man?
I can get Royal Oak at walmart and RO or Cowboy at Lowes and HD around here.
I have a very small amount of Ozark Oak left from some my brother gave me. He lives in Texas and used to go to Arkansas to get wood and I think he got the charcoal there. He said it was the best. Can't complain about my results with it. You almost don't need any smokin wood when you use it.

anyone ever mix them??
As of late I gave been mixing them with great results. I was having a bit of trouble with temps in one of the cookers so I figured with lump burning a bit hotter and easier to start it would keep the coals in order on long cooks, so far it's worked very well.

bob,i got it at an engles in griffin ga. how would it work in my uds?? would i use about 1/2 as much as briquettes?? if i used the same amount, would it get a lot hotter? sorry for all the rookie questions but maybe i can learn from yalls mistakes and not burn up some good meat!!:-D

bob,i got it at an engles in griffin ga. how would it work in my uds?? would i use about 1/2 as much as briquettes?? if i used the same amount, would it get a lot hotter? sorry for all the rookie questions but maybe i can learn from yalls mistakes and not burn up some good meat!!:-D

Should work fine. I use lump in mine. I would use same amount. For long cooks maybe even a little more. I find it burns a little hotter in my UDS, so I close the vents a little more to maintain the same temp. I also find it burns faster, so I use a little more volume than briqs, but if you weigh I suspect amounts are similar. Lump tends to be lighter by volume. Look at a bag of briqs vs lump. Similar size bags are different weight.

Best thing to do is try it and see how it performs. Cook as you normally would when it comes to temps and probably times.
I find with the UDS, just load up some charcoal and get the temp where you want. It uses far less fuel than anything I used before so I always have fuel left. Just close all the vents when the cook is done and reuse whats left next time. Add what you need for the next cook.

Post some pics and let us know how it goes. :biggrin:

I used lump for the first time yesterday...the smell was very pleasant, it light up easily and had my temps holding around 250 all day, the only issue that arose was when I had a temp spike (lid off mod) and I left the vents closed for too long and the fire went out, the butt was at 180 so I just tossed in on the oven to finish it off. Oh and after 8 hours or so it did not even look like I had use up any of the lump! I was very impressed. Its like anything else, I now need to practice using lump and I have a feeling it will be my fuel of choice. The was in a UDS and using Kroger Brand Lump.

I used lump for the first time yesterday...the smell was very pleasant, it light up easily and had my temps holding around 250 all day, the only issue that arose was when I had a temp spike (lid off mod) and I left the vents closed for too long and the fire went out, the butt was at 180 so I just tossed in on the oven to finish it off. Oh and after 8 hours or so it did not even look like I had use up any of the lump! I was very impressed. Its like anything else, I now need to practice using lump and I have a feeling it will be my fuel of choice. The was in a UDS and using Kroger Brand Lump.

Kid,
Close your vents when you are taking the lid off, actually a little before, and you won't get as much of a spike. Just have to remember to reopen.
Last time I did that, I thought my fire went out as well, but 1/2 hour later it was hot again. Just must have shut the fire way down. :biggrin:

Back