• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chicken legs in comp

MoGreen

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone dared to turn in chicken legs in a competition? I know that thighs are the norm, but my legs are so much better... Just wondering if anybody has gone outside the box on this one...

I know of people who use them and have judged contestes that they were used. If yours are better go for it.

I used to use legs exclusively... primarily to to avoid the time consumin thigh trimming and to be a bit different.

Was always hit or miss... but never in the middle of the pack.

They always tasted good but needed some luck to hit a table with judges that were open to legs.

good luck... give them a try and if your not happy with the results, you can switch the next time out.

did it all year, great flavor, tender (for legs) great appearance...bottom of the pack every time. they get compared to thighs as far as tenderness. I am going back to thighs.

I've turned them the last two contests. Had perfect appearance scores in Blue Springs, but they were a little dry and finished middle of the pack. They were in the middle again at the AR Open, even though they were cooked very well and tasted great. I haven't seen the judges' individual scores yet. I'll keep experimenting, but will probably go back to thighs next year.

We do thighs primarily but we did Summer Sizzle comp last year with legs...1st place. Switched to thighs for this years contest...1st Place. No clue what table you might get. I do think thighs are your best shot at most comps.

Back