Brisket Options

backdraftbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been using the brisket from Restaurant Depot and I think it's time to upgrade. I've been looking at SRF, Creekstone, Huntspoint & Austin Meat & Seafood Co. Let the opinions fly!

I've only ever used SRF, so I can't comment on the others, but we've had great success with them. We've had a few flats that were a little on the thin side, but since they cost so much we cooked 'em and dealt with it.

how much do creekstone primes run/ lb? those that have cooked both Creekstone Primes and SRF Blacks is there a describable difference?

I've cooked both black and gold for SRF, and I love them. I like large briskets, so what I cook depends on the size box I can get. Later in the season, I have to go up to gold grade because the blacks are hard to find big briskets.

I got a 1st place brisket call a year ago in Rome, GA with a Creekstone Prime, and I switched to SRF wagyu right after that contest, and I've had just as much success since then. It's all in how you cook it when you get into those higher quality pieces of meat.

Even if you have a Costco that carries prime, its a better option. The ability to sort means alot

Have you placed with choice from RD? If you haven't you might not do much better with wagyu. Our team is basically nobody and far from a competing team of the year or any good accolades to matter much (and that is an understatement :-D). But our first 2 overall comp wins were both with choice from RD. We have switched to wagyu yes, but if you haven't gotten calls with choice wagyu won't do a whole lot.

I have competed with all of the above and have done well. I had the chance to try an A9 Kobe from Master Purveyors in Tampa. First time out, first one I ever cooked - perfect perfect. I love these briskets, they are all I use now. And now they ship. Call Shawn and tell him I sent you.

BTW it was also injected with BPS Cattle Prod, also the first time using it.

Yes they are both sponsors of mine, and I'm thankful!

1383023_10206258335797198_4187624101379714110_n.jpg

We cook Imperial Wagyu from Mister Brisket. He will hand pick and ship them out. We have also cooked SRF but the Mister Brisket Briskets have worked well for us. He also has Meyer Natural Angus Prime briskets. We really like those but the tend to be a little smaller than we like to cook.

I have competed with all of the above and have done well. I had the chance to try an A9 Kobe from Master Purveyors in Tampa. First time out, first one I ever cooked - perfect perfect. I love these briskets, they are all I use now. And now they ship. Call Shawn and tell him I sent you.

BTW it was also injected with BPS Cattle Prod, also the first time using it.

Yes they are both sponsors of mine, and I'm thankful!

Those AA9+ Master Kobe briskets from Master Purveyors are beautiful (not that it really matters, but I'm not a sponsored team and never will be).

Some pictures of one I recently had shipped (haven't cooked it yet): [ame]https://www.facebook.com/ROASTBEASTBBQ/posts/1704393596500141[/ame]

I'll also say that the Meyer Natural Prime that Shawn shipped me was probably the juiciest and best-tasting brisket I've cooked. They are on the smaller side, though (12-14 lb range).

Back