How to get started

Higgledy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How do I get started in competition? Are there any teams who are looking for a teammate in the VA/MD/PA area?

Best way is to jump right in! Look around on the KCBS website for contests in your area.

Before you do all of that make sure this is something you want to do. Once you have been bitten by the bug you will spend tons of time and money trying to win some plastic trophies :mrgreen:

I am going to attend a couple of competitions as a spectator this summer just to see what they are all about.

I would recommend that you become a certified judge and judge a few contests to see what other teams are turning in. This will give you an idea as to what other teams are turning in so that you can see if you are in line with them.

I would recommend that you become a certified judge and judge a few contests to see what other teams are turning in. This will give you an idea as to what other teams are turning in so that you can see if you are in line with them.

Good idea

just jump into it. I have had a 2 calls in 3 comps by just reading on this forum and thru watching pit-masters on tv.

just jump into it. I have had a 2 calls in 3 comps by just reading on this forum and thru watching pit-masters on tv.

Same here. 4 calls, 1 walk in 5 contests by reading the forums and everything else I can find.

I'm not saying that I'm a great competitor by any means but I've had alot of fun in the contests I've done. Getting calls helps too :grin:

There's nothing like diving right in and doing a comp. You'll learn real quick on some things, and are able talk to other teams and pick up some tips along the way.

One thing I would add is jump right in, but jump into the backyard division first rather than professional. Do a couple of competitions like that and see how you like it. Then you can make the BIG jump to professional if you think you will continue to enjoy it.

Well it was through this forum that I was talked into doing my first competition, with a U-haul van, one EZ Up and one BWS and got an 8th place pork call...and I forgot to sauce the turn in. So fast forward--truck, trailer, two more cookers....and say 50k+ dent to the bank account and I look forward to every competition. It happens

Well it was through this forum that I was talked into doing my first competition, with a U-haul van, one EZ Up and one BWS and got an 8th place pork call...and I forgot to sauce the turn in. So fast forward--truck, trailer, two more cookers....and say 50k+ dent to the bank account and I look forward to every competition. It happens

That 8th place pork cost you about $100,000 :razz:

Back