KCBS ToY Bonus Points Change

No doubt sounds like my idea needs a little tweaking. I still like the basic concept though.

So the average number of teams at a contest is not 38.79. That is the average of the subset of contests that was cherry picked by this person for their own purpose.

It immediately got picked up as the average number of teams per contests, which it is not. I would guess that the average number of teams per contest is probably closer to 30 because there are a lot of contests with less than 25 teams and only 1 AR Open to skew the number higher.

Which makes you wonder why they excluded contests if they wanted the average and if they were looking for a way to help small local contests.

Seems like including those smaller contests would be the thing to do.

If you made the bonus points be maxed at 25 teams the majority of contests are going to be max contests. Teams working for ToY can pick contests based on other factors that are important to them, which would afford them the ability to stay closer to home and cook those local contests.

It would also give a lot more teams the chance to cook 10 max point contests.

Which makes you wonder why they excluded contests if they wanted the average and if they were looking for a way to help small local contests.
Smells to me like a small group wants to change the TOY bonus so they just made up some numbers to justify it.

If anything, they should do different divisions for teams that don't cook so many contests, similar to what bbqscores started doing with the data.

If anything, they should do different divisions for teams that don't cook so many contests, similar to what bbqscores started doing with the data.

that is what the regional stuff is for IMO.

Small TOY. I like that. We are 9TH overall in the 12 or less contest catagory. :laugh:

that is what the regional stuff is for IMO.

Doing it regionally doesn't help teams that don't cook a lot of contests. In Georgia, you could probably cook 30 contests a year without even leaving the state.

I meant all the GBC, Great Lakes, MABA, NEBS, and all the rest of the regional team of the year programs. I dont think that KCBS should create a Team of the Year classification.

It doesnt bother me in the least that I dont really have a shot at winning KCBS ToY. I dont put in the effort that the teams that do compete for it do.

I also know that when I finish around top 200 or top 100 or whatever we finish, that is pretty good and I am happy with the finish. I can look at the teams around me and know how we did.

I meant all the GBC, Great Lakes, MABA, NEBS, and all the rest of the regional team of the year programs. I dont think that KCBS should create a Team of the Year classification.

It doesnt bother me in the least that I dont really have a shot at winning KCBS ToY. I dont put in the effort that the teams that do compete for it do.

AH, OK. That makes sense. I know I don't have a shot to win TOY, but it is nice to know how you stack up against other teams that cook the same number of contests.

I see the bonus point motion passed 7-4. It also looks like the Board changed 2014 ToY retroactively (nothing in the quick notes about this but there is an announcement on the News page.)

KCBS TOY 2015 - the year of the tie. (or coin flip if you prefer)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
I think that the 2014 change is about the perfect perfect brisket situation. I believe what happened is that if you score a perfect perfect you get 1st place points regardless of where you end up on the scoresheet.

The 2015 ToY race will use the new 35 point max contest.

I think that the 2014 change is about the perfect perfect brisket situation. I believe what happened is that if you score a perfect perfect you get 1st place points regardless of where you end up on the scoresheet.

The 2015 ToY race will use the new 35 point max contest.

I noticed a change in the brisket category, does it only apply to brisket?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
I am assuming that brisket is the only category where someone has scored a perfect perfect and not won the category.

Yup. Uh, that was me, along with Quau. :becky: There is another thread about it.

Taking the total points for each position and dividing by the number of tied teams (3 in the instance cited) is a more equitable solution to a rare circumstance. I have not looked up the teams involved or which team finished 4th in brisket but if all 4 teams were in a tight race for brisket TOY, the 4th place team really got shafted by losing such a large number of point to the other 3 teams. That could doom them, assuming the points race was tight. From what I read, the prize money for the top 3 was split equally. The correct thing for the KCBS BOD to have done was to split the points the same way. Then the 4th place team would not have taken such a large hit in the points to the other three.

Back