New drum cookers on market

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just noticed a couple new "drum" cookers out on the market. Outsiders bbq has one and Sweet smoke QDS have one out on the market. Any one tried one yet?
The QDS has a temp controller included.

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
Brother LTG does the Outsiders drums. I haven't seen on in person but the pictures look good.

Same with the Whitewater drums. I can't remember if he is a member here or not. They look good in pictures. Let us know what you think when you get yours, mutts.

And, of course, Brothers Getting Basted and Shake'nBake build the Gateway Drums, and I think Mark from Hunsaker is a member but I can't remember his user name.

So, if you want to buy a high end drum, buy from a Brethren member! :thumb:

The Sweet Smoke looks good too, but just so folks don't get confused, the temp controller is not a Guru. That's a specific product. But, it will is cool! :-D

I'm also pretty sure that Sweet Smoke is a member, too.

Yeah, I think Jim (Sweet Smoke Q) builds his own controllers.

He and his wife are very nice people! Cooked beside them at the Sam's Club contest in Charleston S.C. a couple of years ago.

They shared a few of their "pink" drinks with us. Those things will sneak up on ya'!

Whitewater drums are absolutely legit. Guys that actually know how to weld and fab building them.

You know, if you like drum cooking

Thanks for the kind words Ron.

More features for less money.

-powdercoat paint which means no more baked on gunk on outside of drum

-handles are fully welded and make an excellent point to strap to when transporting

-butterfly style valves instead of tear drops. No bumping into these on accident and affecting temp

-3" monster intake which is mandrel bent. Needs less adjustment than 2 intakes (funny how someone now offers a 3" single too)

-hinge kit is standard

-laser cut charcoal basket is standard

Are there any teams that bought a QDS and used it in a comp? I have to admit the included temperature controller makes it a very intriguing option at the $695 price point.

Are there any teams that bought a QDS and used it in a comp? I have to admit the included temperature controller makes it a very intriguing option at the $695 price point.

In all the pictures I have seen it appears that the included temp controller is the only option for draft control? If that is actually the case I would be concerned (due to the possibility of power or equipment failure) about the lack of manual operation capabilities. Or am I missing something obvious?

I'd like to see a QDS in action. I'm brand new to drum smoking, but one of the things I look for more than temperature is the amount of action coming from the stack (how much draw there is). I'd be afraid that the on and off nature of a temperature control would change one of my favorite things about the way they cook. It's hard to say without driving one.

What exactly is the point of the gateway patent??......I guess they all (gateway included) are versions of the same UDS origin but it doesn't take much to look at some of these new drums popping up and see they are just tweaked gateway clones.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess but..........I'd bet Tim and Terri worked very hard and waited a long time for their patent to avoid this very thing.

I had to borrow smokers at the last second to cook at the royal invitational and open this year. I only ended up finding two real gateway drums, and one clone. The clone was almost identical except for one tweak inside the drum, and it made a huge difference. The temp in the gateways held better, the smoke ran smoother, and they used probably 40% less charcoal. Tim does what he does for a reason.

Back