Seasoning new pit

Big Sexy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm seasoning my new trailer pit this weekend. I read a lot of mixed reviews on what to use.

I have a lot of vegetable oil in the house, and was going to use that since I already have it on hand. From what I read; it's not the #1 choice, but acceptable.

Does it make a noticeable difference using peanut oil or lard?

What temp should I run & for how long?

Thanks in advance.

I just used the spray on canola oil from Costco on my LSG vertical offset. Im not sure it really matters what you use. You first few real cooks are going to have a large bigger impact on the seasoning that the initial spray down.

I like to run between 250-275* for about 2-3 hours and then let it cool down slowly. I use a store brand cooking spray.

I just used the spray on canola oil from Costco on my LSG vertical offset. Im not sure it really matters what you use. You first few real cooks are going to have a large bigger impact on the seasoning that the initial spray down.

Did exactly the same thing. Seemed to have worked!

Hey Big Sexy, did you have yours delivered last Friday? If so, I think I saw it when I got mine in Marysville...its big!

Not a thing in the world wrong with veg oil, just rub or brush it on and not to thick. I've done plenty with veg oil, even a few with Crisco but I've gotten lazy so now I buy generic store brand canola by the case.

Hey Big Sexy, did you have yours delivered last Friday? If so, I think I saw it when I got mine in Marysville...its big!

No, I picked mine up in Alabama.
I need to change my demographics on this site; I live in North Carolina these days.

No, I picked mine up in Alabama.
I need to change my demographics on this site; I live in North Carolina these days.

Sounds like another member of the SF family. If so, let's see some pics. Hell, let's see some pics anyhow.

I use about a can of pam on an average size smoker. Two or three cans for a big offset.

Do you just season the inside? I've hear of people coating the exterior as well curious to your thoughts.

Back