Baby Backs On The Assassin Today And Snake Run

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Cooking some baby back ribs today on the Assassin 48 and rub down with Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rub and smoking with some hickory chunks . I am also going to experiment with a snake maze going down the cooker and back to see what kind of burn time I can get and I am using my BBQ Guru too . I did a crisscross maze awhile back and got a 11 1/2 hour burn time but had to remove some maze pieces when it got to the far end but was no big deal and if I had the bigger fan I might not had to remove them . I figured with the straight snake method it will allow for more airflow with the fan I have .

Last edited:
well about 4 hours in and my temps dropped to 220 degrees and the Guru fan was running nonstop so I took charcoal from the end of the snake and made it 3 pieces wide instead of two and the temps are back up to 250 degrees . now knowing to do the snake just a little wider to burn hotter I should be able to get a 10 hour cook easily and I am 6 hours in right now . I will post the burn time tonight when it starts to drop and next weekend I will do another test with the full length of the snake and three wide on the charcoal . it is time to eat , ribs are done .

Last edited:
Great example of how to figure out a cooker. Next try is going to be perfect.

Great example of how to figure out a cooker. Next try is going to be perfect.

yeah it is trial and error and I love trying to make a cooker better or cook longer and with a straight snake down and up will be the best for this cooker with a smaller fan . It is still going strong at 250 degrees and it was not even full of charcoal so I am very happy with the results with a little tweaking .:biggrin1:

ended up getting a 9 hour burn time with the method I used and going to do it again next week a I bet I can get a 12 to 14 hour burn time which will be awesome for pork butts and briskets . :blah::blah: :biggrin1:

Those are some mighty fine looking ribs!

Is the guru necessary on the Assassin or do you use it just to simplify the cook?

Back