• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for a picture---pile of Kobe

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am normally pretty good at finding posts, but can not find a picture posted recently of a pile of what appears to be KOBE RibEyes. :oops:

Want to show my niece who is visiting.

Anyone know where it is hiding??

Thanks,

TIM

This Kapn?

cYf25Fgh.jpg

That is a good pic, but the one I am thinking of was an actual pile of roasts showing the ends.
Mega Dollars of meat! 8)

I know it was posted at least twice, but I'll be darned if I can find it!

Thanks,

TIM

But is it actual Kobe? Not that it really matters...good looking beef regardless.

But lets face it...that's probably US or Austrailan Waygu. Doubtful that picture came from one of the eight or nine restaurants in the US that serve Japanese Kobe.

Food for thought: As mentioned, it is reported that only about 9 restaurants in America actually serve Kobe beef. Kobe beef is not available on the open market.

Before 2012, Kobe beef was not allowed to be exported from Japan...it was no where else in the wold.

In 2016 the US imported a total of 53 head of slaughtered Kobe beef. Compare that to the 18,000 head of cattle slaughtered in the US every single day. Think about that for a second.

The US import #s for genuine Kobe are as follows:

To Date for 2017: 8
2016: 53
2015: 67
2014: 66
2013: 19
2012: 5

And like I said, no Kobe was exported from Japan prior to February 2, 2012.

Last edited:
But is it actual Kobe? Not that it really matters...good looking beef regardless.

But lets face it...that's probably US or Austrailan Waygu. Doubtful that picture came from one of the eight or nine restaurants in the US that serve Japanese Kobe.

Food for thought: As mentioned, it is reported that only about 9 restaurants in America actually serve Kobe beef. Kobe beef is not available on the open market.

Before 2012, Kobe beef was not allowed to be exported from Japan...it was no where else in the wold.

In 2016 the US imported a total of 53 head of slaughtered Kobe beef. Compare that to the 18,000 head of cattle slaughtered in the US every single day. Think about that for a second.

The US import #s for genuine Kobe are as follows:

To Date for 2017: 8
2016: 53
2015: 67
2014: 66
2013: 19
2012: 5

And like I said, no Kobe was exported from Japan prior to February 2, 2012.

That's marketing hype. There is no genetic difference between wagyu and kobe... Where the breed is raised and it's age designates Kobe. Other than that- most of the wagyu that people typically consume is a hybrid f1.

The colored Swiss cheese Kobe everyone likes to refer to tastes like organ meat.. And comes from 4+ year old cattle. The wagyu or Kobe breed has a high mortality rate... Along with a very slow growth rate all equate to its ridiculous price.

Last edited:
About as much difference as there is between sparkling wine & champagne. It's the same, but different.

Same as Certified Angus...marketing. Same, but different.

Marketing or not...not all waygu in Japan are Kobe...certainly, not the waygu/Angus crosses we get here in the US.

Back