Best All-purpose Rub

sknabnoj

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys use for an "all purpose" rub? Looking for a rub that's not too salty, sweet or hot, just well rounded flavor. I'm looking for this rub to build layers of flavor on competition meats and also use as a standalone rub in case I don't want to fart around with multiple rubs.

Ready for your favorites!

At home salt and pepper is a good start.

For comps just go with a winner. Being creative is frowned upon

I would agree with Smoke Ninja, salt and pepper is as universal or all purpose as you can get.

Most of the rubs I have used are designed to compliment a specific type of meat. IE: A sweet rib rub may work great on ribs, but definitely not on a brisket. But some pork rubs may also work on chicken, but you have to be the judge of that.

Maybe the video below will help you....

Arron Franklin's Evolving Base Rub from his video (below)
*Note - his measurements are in "parts","bits", "smidges", and "touches" so these are approximates as seen by the volume added in the video.

Arron starts with an even mixture of salt and pepper for his brisket rub
1/2 cup of course black pepper
1/2 cup of kosher salt

Optional ingredients for Texas style brisket rub
(or an all purpose rub).
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder

He then states to make this rub for pork add the following
3/4 teaspoon of hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder

For ribs use the complete blend above, but double the pepper

He then says to make this a chicken rub add
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar

He says he wouldn't add sugar to a pork rub or a rib rub, because sugar burns over time making it dark, whereas chicken cooks faster so it doesn't seem to burn as easily.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iU"]BBQ with Franklin: Special Rubs - YouTube[/ame]

I've found that I reach for Oakridge Santa Maria more than any other.

However, years ago, after buying a bottle of Lotta Bull UnBULLeavable all purpose rub for my mom she won't use anything BUT the stuff. So, I'd say it's mother approved.:laugh:

My favorite "all purpose" rub would be Oak Ridge Secret Weapon followed closely by Plowboys Yardbird.

I know this might seem out of date and not sexy enough, but Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust is a good general purpose rub. I make my own rubs for most cooks but when I get lazy and want to throw something on the BGE rather than the vertical offset, the Dizzy Dust works well.

I use Sucklebusters SPG rub as an all purpose rub. It is great on everything. And, as you say I used it as a base coating then add other flavors for ribs, brisket and chicken, etc.

My wife calls it magic dust.

Killer Hogs "The BBQ Rub" is great for color and as a base
Plowboys
SGH
Zero to hero

Really just depends on what meats you want to use it on as ribs aren't the same as brisket

this is the base rub for any & every meat I cook-
https://www.fiestaspices.com/best-selling-products/fajita-seasoning/

fajseas.gif

Basic rubs all seem to have the same ingredients with perhaps a few additions. My day to day rub includes brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Ratios vary depending on what I am cooking.

Oakridge Secret Weapon goes on pretty much anything. Never tried beef though...use Black Ops for that.

Back