Help! Building a battery box to power DigiQ

RatSass

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a Humphreys Pint. About to order A Guru DigiQ or Cyber.

I cook away from the house with no AC power so I want to build a portable box with probably an 18-24Ah AGM or VSLA battery. Simple box just a battery and 12V socket.

I have no idea the power consumption of Guru products. I want to run it for 24 hours between charges if possible.

I know the consumption will vary with the fan turning on and off but I want to be able to do a couple of long smokes without recharging if possible.

Any info you can contribute would be helpful.

Bill D

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track, but a simple 10AH 12VDC gel cell battery has worked for an 18 hour cook for me without any issues. a simple male plug for the digi-q is available from radio shack, and just a spade clip on each lead is all you need.

5a60375a-422b-4b10-8129-e3e5fdb2a08b_1.f743596d4492e60f972c03f8f6c64d0f.jpeg

68801.jpg

Something like this would work too.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Rally-Portable-Source-Jumpstart-Generator/dp/B002NGCO30/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1471229630&sr=8-7&keywords=jump+start+power+pack"]Amazon.com: Rally Portable 8 in 1 Power Source and Jumpstart Unit with Hand Generator (7471): Automotive[/ame]

I run mine off a jump box. Will run for days off of it. You can get an adapter for the guru to plug in the cigarette lighter port on the jump box from bbq guru

I run mine off a jump box. Will run for days off of it. You can get an adapter for the guru to plug in the cigarette lighter port on the jump box from bbq guru

That's what I do, too. I look at the price of a battery, charger and some way to carry them and bought a unit instead. Mine is a Duracell, but they are pretty expensive (I got it on sale :-D), but this one would work fine...

https://amzn.com/B002X6VXL4

What IamMadMan posted. You should be able to find a 9ah SLA battery at your local sporting good store (used for depth finders) and a trickle charger for them for less than 40 bucks combined. Never have ran out of power.

a 10cfm is supposed to draw .67ah at 100%. you will use far far less than that. Cooked multiple contests at full charge (16hr run times each)

Thanks for the replies!

This is what I was looking for: "a 10cfm is supposed to draw .67ah at 100%"

I have chargers just needed to know what size battery to use. Since I'm in the backyard a battery in a box with an outlet is all I need. If I can get a couple of long smokes without charging that would be a bonus. If not I can run an extension cord out to the gazebo- just prefer to avoid that.

Thanks again!

Will post some pics when done and some pics of the new Pint. I love it. First weekend did 3 butts, 3 SL ribs and 3 whole spatchcocked chickens within 30 hours. Broke it in right.

I would consider an electric fence battery and solar charger from Tractor Supply. This would increase the BBQ geek quotient significantly and impress your neighbors and friends with your environmental concerns.
:mod:

Thanks for the replies!

This is what I was looking for: "a 10cfm is supposed to draw .67ah at 100%"

I haven't found power specs for the Guru stuff, and I've looked. You can check with the Guru folks to see if they have it, or maybe someone has measured it.

My Duracell power pack has an 18 AH battery and I can go three competitions, running it for 15-16 hours at each competition without charging, if that helps. It may go longer, but I didn't want to take a chance, so I charged it after the third comp.

Couldn't you use a power bank like this. It should keep it powered all night, and have enough power to recharge your phone if you like.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: [Qualcomm Certified Quick Charge 3.0] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger with USB-C / Type-C Port & QC 3.0 Input & Output for Phones, Tablets and More: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

Thanks for the help!

I figured something along the lines of an 18ah battery would do two or more long smokes.

You guys are great!

run over to harbor freight or northern tool and get a car jump pack with 12 volt outlet, about $50. I used them all the time years ago to run the guru competitor (unit before digiq) at fests and such. the jump pack will run multiple overnight cooks before you have to worry about charging it. It's actually real handy, almost better than an outlet, at times......

t

Back