Butcher Paper Ash Cloud

TinySmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well last Sunday I wanted to have some fun and get in on my first TD. Picked up a fire pit and proceeded to get it fired up...

image-L.jpg

A few weeks ago i purchased a roll of food grade 40# uncoated butcher paper with a dispenser for my porch...

20140914_193226-L.jpg

Have been experimenting using the butcher paper instead of foil on a couple cooks and it's also it's great to work off on the table! Up until the fire pit I have just been throwing it away but having that convenient fire just inches away seemed like a good idea...WRONG! Wadded up probably 20 feet that i had used for different preps and tossed it in...backed up to sit down and realized it looked like thousands of smoldering moths erupting into the air coming at me...I did the smart thing and ran like hell! I have never seen paper turn to ash that fast! This cover on my kettle doesn't look to bad...but what you see is burned into it...luckily just surface burns!

P1010176-L.jpg

This video was sent in by neighbor...

[ame="http://youtu.be/BUREX8aFbMs"]http://youtu.be/BUREX8aFbMs[/ame]

Well maybe not but it seemed like it for a second:shocked::eek:

Thanks for the warning. I wonder if it was the residue from your preps or just the paper itself? You should try it again with unused bp just so we will know for sure. Get the hose ready!

I've made a similar mistake throwing a lot of paper into my fireplace. It was raining hot embers outside.

Thanks for the warning. I wonder if it was the residue from your preps or just the paper itself? You should try it again with unused bp just so we will know for sure. Get the hose ready!

I was kind of wondering that myself if it was some residue. Half had Pork Butts wrapped in it...the other half was pretty clean. I have a chunk of new paper in the truck right now that I am going to throw on a buddys fire tomorrow night. He is having a party in a remote area that will be in no danger of damaging anything...except us. Will see if I get the same result.

I was kind of wondering that myself if it was some residue. Half had Pork Butts wrapped in it...the other half was pretty clean. I have a chunk of new paper in the truck right now that I am going to throw on a buddys fire tomorrow night. He is having a party in a remote area that will be in no danger of damaging anything...except us. Will see if I get the same result.

Just for the record...I was joking. This idea sounds like one of those moments that start out with "dude, watch this" and ends in some sort of redneckish disaster.:crazy:

Just for the record...I was joking. This idea sounds like one of those moments that start out with "dude, watch this" and ends in some sort of redneckish disaster.:crazy:

And ends with tonight on the ten O'Clock news. :laugh:

And ends with tonight on the ten O'Clock news. :laugh:

Hey...I'm not afraid to Redneck it up sometimes!

I'm a mechanical engineer and love gunpowder, Tannerite, and a few other Redneck favorites:-D...I just was not expecting quite that energetic a reaction from that particular paper. Now I am curious and might have to mix up some special batches of paper tomorrow night :decision:

By the way I would NO WAY RECOMMEND anybody from attempting the following! THAT MEANS DON'T DO THIS....REALLY DON'T DO THIS!

Here was an interesting experience I had at the same buddys house we are partying at tomorrow night. Last July 4th we found lying around the barn.

Item 1: Acetylene Cutting Torch.
Item 2: Kids party balloons and an helium tank.
Item 3: Model Rocket Fuse
Item 4: Duct Tape

See where I'm going here don't ya...

My buddy insisted that acetylene did not have that great a potential as a noisemaker. So the first thing I did was make everybody put on safety glasses and ear plugs. I first found some 2 inch steel pipe about 10 feet long and shot a little acetylene in with a little air and touched it off with a lighter...BIG BOOM! Buddy said that was because of the pipes effect and acetylene would not BOOM like that unconfined. SOOOOO I first filled up 3 balloons with helium and duct taped them together. Took off my shoes to ground myself and filled up another balloon with acetylene / Oxygen mixed perfect from torch head. Taped 5 feet of rocket fuse to balloon and taped that to helium balloons. Lit the fuse and released. Gained altitude pretty quick and was almost out of sights when it went off. Had to be 1000 feet when it went off. Fireball was quite impressive and shock wave a second or so later convinced him that it is indeed very explosive!

So my educating for the day was done and I went back up to the house to feed some more splits to the smoker and calm down the women screaming that we woke up the baby. About a half hour later there was a large explosion towards the barn. I ran down to the barn and there were no longer any doors or windows in the barn or glass in the tractors inside. My buddy and his 14 year old son were sitting in the dirt with a rather shocked look on their faces. After making sure they were relatively OK...they were near deaf for a few minutes and smelling like burnt hair. They decided not to seek medical care because all digits were still attached and probably not wanting to explain to the authorities what they had done.

What these geniuses had done was find an extra ingredient and got a little ambitious! He found a lot more balloons and metal glitter. He explained that he thought it would be neat to see all that sparkle in the sun after the balloon went off. So my buddy filled ten 22 inch balloons with glitter then added the gas mix...he would hand each one to his kid who would then stuff it in a plastic garbage bag.

Well we all know what static electricity is don't we...the 10th balloon rubbing against the bag and other balloons caused a spark and he remodeled his barn...They did have safety glasses and earplugs on...but neither was still in place after the explosion...It was by pure luck that both were not seriously injured!

It don't get no more Redneck than that!

Be sure to watch the 10 O'clock news tomorrow :laugh:

Back