2nd Smoke Looking for Tips/Help

jmy1986

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good Day Brethren,

I am going to due my second smoke(I did a picnic pork shoulder last weekend) this weekend. My family has been in Cabo San Lucas on vacation(had to bunker down during the hurricane that just hit there) so they missed my first ever smoke. They have had a crazy travel home from Mexico and I want to do something special for them Sunday.

So I am coming to all of you for some help. I want to make them something fantastic to welcome them home and show happy I am to have them home safe and sound.

I was thinking about a picnic again or maybe doing butt this time. I was also thinking of maybe doing ribs. Would like to maybe try a fatty but would not even know where to get one or how to make one. I have a brinkmann gourmet water smoker with two racks. If anyone has any thoughts or input it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance and pictures will be posted post smoke.

The pork shoulder/butt is a very forgiving piece of meat. I would stick with that, any smoked meat is a special item and I am sure they would be thrilled and will enjoy it.

I am a big fan of pork loin. Great flavor, not too expensive and very easy to cook.
Here is one I did a while back.

+1 for shoulders/butts. They're easy to cook, hard to screw up.

A fatty can be as easy as a log of breakfast sausage with or without rub. Take it out of the package, rub with your pulled pork rub, and smoke to 180 or so. You can get fancy and stuff with other stuff, wrap with bacon and so on, but naked fatties are really delicious!

I 2nd the butt - not a picnic. Or do 2 butts, pull 1 at IT of 160, cube it and make
Pork Burnt Ends. Make a few ABT's as well, for fun.

Do I need to put a drip ban under the pork shoulder or is ok if some drippings get in the the water bowl

It won't hurt it to drip into your water pan, but I like to catch those dripping and mix them back into the pork after I pull it. Some people will de-fat drippings before mixing it with the pulled pork. If it is only a little fat, I just mix it all in. Makes the pork all juicy and tasty...

This always comes out good.....

Pan of beans with small diced onion, sweet pepper, maybe bits of ham or sausage, granulated garlic, other spices you like & a BIG dollop of honey....

3-6-2013Beef037.jpg

Put it on the second rack under the butt for the last half of the cookup.....

3-6-2013Beef038.jpg

(those were with beef, but pork is even better ^^^)

Leave some room for the drip.....

MemorialsJuly2012027-1.jpg

Mix in, ladle some of the juice out so they're not too soupy & get some soppin' bread !!!

Ok so I have picked up two about 9.5lbs pork picnic shoulders. I am smoking them on a brinkmann gourmet. I think both will fit on the rack right above the water bowl. Should I do both on the same rack or should I do one on the top rack and one on the bottom rack? Also if my estimations are right these should roughly take me 13 hours right? Any thoughts?

Okay both shoulder went on about 11:40. So this now makes me send usage of the smoker is an overnighter. I hope this works out. I mixed my lump coal with some Stubbs briquettes I picked up today and also some hickory wood chunks. Filled up the entire bottom of the smoker with coal and wood so I hope I don't need to add any more till after I get up in the morning or water in the fact.

Thank you all for your help

Okay so I must have ran a little hot over night since they took about just over 10 hours to get to temp. Pictures to follow when I get ready to pull

Okay so here is the one from the bottom rack. For some reason it tastes a bit bland like the rub didn't work in well enough. Although the bone pretty much fell right out of it

Attachments

• WIN_20140921_123516.jpg
    WIN_20140921_123516.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 43
  • WIN_20140921_123724.jpg
    WIN_20140921_123724.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 43
Can't really tell from that picture, but it looks like it might have a pretty good layer of fat on it. If it is, that could be the reason for the bland taste, since rub won't penetrate through the fat. I used a Brinkman for years before I graduated to my WSM, keeping temps right were tough since it didn't have any vents on it.

There is a good layer of fat on it still. This is how my first one came out and far better. Should I been cooking this fat side down because I did fat side up

You will find different opinions on this, but I always trim the fat cap off. There is plenty of fat still in the meat to keep it moist. I am also mopping the outside or spritzing it with apple juice through out the cook. I also always have a wonderful smoky well seasoned pulled pork when I am done. If you choose to leave the fat cap on, you might want to score the fat in a checkerboard fashion and get your rub down inside and smoke it fat side up. I just don't see the benefit to leave any fat on the outside.

Okay so here is the one from the bottom rack. For some reason it tastes a bit bland like the rub didn't work in well enough. Although the bone pretty much fell right out of it

I love those black balls! Complimenti. I can see lot of juicies!

It was extremely tender. I think it just cooked faster thern my first on and just was a bit bland. It did have a bit of a smoky flavor though

Back