Looking for a team to learn with in Ga or Al

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Im in the Atl area and really want this year to be a great learning year for me. Ive been trying now for a few years to learn the competition way but haven't really ben able to hook up with a team or someone that wants to help me learn. Is there anyone in Ga or even eastern alabama that would be willing to help me? I really want to learn and I learn best by simply doing! Anyone wanna take a chance on me?

Have you looked into a class? Lotta Bull is doing one in Georgia this spring and it's pretty inexpensive. This is from their FB page, and this post doesn't state it, but I do believe his class is $300 to include a spouse. It would be a great way to get your feet under you.

"Shelli Rogers with First Liberty Market in Waynesboro, GA just locked in her date of April 22-23 for our Tell All Class. You can reach Shelli at 706-554-8100 to sign-up. This class is just a few weeks before the Boss Hog State Championship Cook Off in Waynesboro, GA on May 13-14th. This is the class to take before going out to compete. Check out their Facebook page at First Liberty Market whose mailing address is P.O. 647, Waynesboro, GA 30830."

You're very welcome!

I am not discouraging you from trying to find a team, but your post hadn't had much traction, so I thought this would be a solution. Also, come on out to a few local events and see if maybe there is a team who will let you pick their brain in person. For what you're looking for, an inexpensive class is a great place to start though.

I always have an open position for dish washer!

seriously... I will be cooking a couple of GBA events this year under my old team name Wilbur's been smokin' somthin'. I also am the pitmaster for Atlanta BBQ Club but I don't coordinate who joins us on those cooks.

If you want to join me at a GBA contest( Pork, Ribs , Loin ) , the first one for me this year will be April 29-30 in Canton, Ga.

I also might be doing an unsanctioned event in Atlanta May 6-7. That is more like a backyard KCBS ( chicken, ribs, pork)

For $300, I think I might take that class...I'm sure it's well worth the money.

I thought about it, but we have two contests in April so the BBQ budget is at its limit that month. Also, three weekends in a row dedicated to BBQ is tough on the family :)

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Looks like @renfro12 ad I may be forming a union on his team. Met with him today and had lunch...we talked BBQ for a few hours! Awesome guy, and I cant wait to get started getting my hands dirty and learning the ropes of this crazy world of competition BBQ! First comp at end of April! YAY!

Thanks Wilbur, for taking a chance and teaching me!

Looks like @renfro12 ad I may be forming a union on his team. Met with him today and had lunch...we talked BBQ for a few hours! Awesome guy, and I cant wait to get started getting my hands dirty and learning the ropes of this crazy world of competition BBQ! First comp at end of April! YAY!

Thanks Wilbur, for taking a chance and teaching me!

Will is a great guy. Glad to hear it. Good luck!

Back