• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Glaze color

Stabone

Reaction score
What do your prefer, the color of something like BH, or do you prefer a glaze that is more red in color? I think a glaze that is more red in color looks better on the meat for turn-in, especially on chicken. Seems like I hear a lot of comp teams looking for something a little more red in color.

The pics below show a glaze that I have compared to the BH. The BH is on top in both pics. Tough to tell from the pics but the bottom one is quite a bit more red.

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 476
A white plate is different than a cooked piece of meat. what does it look like on the meat?

A white plate is different than a cooked piece of meat. what does it look like on the meat?

That's not really the point, but I get what you are saying. I'm not sure as far as this particular sauce goes. I think it will look better but won't really know until I try it. The pics don't really matter because they never really capture what the meat really looks like. How many times you have stuff that looks really good, but any pic you try and take don't do it any justice?

We have used different types of glazes and at the end of the day I always think the ones that have more of the red mahogany look are the ones I prefer the most.

I'd pick the one that has the flavor that compliments whatever meat you are putting it on. Color is very little concern to me.

I'd pick the one that has the flavor that compliments whatever meat you are putting it on. Color is very little concern to me.

They are extremely close in flavor. One is BH Smokey Mountain, and one is a local bbq sauce with just a bit of BH Smokey Mountain in it. I find that the Smokey Mountain has a very strong flavor that can add to my sauce and the flavor carries over quite well but the finished product isn't golden brown like the BH is. It is the perfect sweetness and color that I'm looking for. This sauce is exclusively for my chicken and ribs.

They are extremely close in flavor. One is BH Smokey Mountain, and one is a local bbq sauce with just a bit of BH Smokey Mountain in it. I find that the Smokey Mountain has a very strong flavor that can add to my sauce and the flavor carries over quite well but the finished product isn't golden brown like the BH is. It is the perfect sweetness and color that I'm looking for. This sauce is exclusively for my chicken and ribs.

Sounds like you have your mind made up already. Give it a shot on some meat and see what you think. Most of my "color" comes from the rubs I use, not the sauce. I use BH without food coloring and get a mahogany red color I am looking for.

Well I can't necessarily say it was the sauce, but I did get a 7th place call in ribs this weekend. Here is a pic of the chicken that we turned in using the same sauce. Not sure where I went wrong because these took 29th place.

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 241
Appearance looks good. It ultimately comes down to Taste & Tenderness scores for chicken to determine where additional tweaking might be necessary

Hard to say, but this is just me, I don't use the same sauce on my ribs that I use on my chicken.

I would tend to agree with you on this. I typically don't but my local store didn't have the sauce I wanted and I ended up having to make what i had work. Also, I kinda wanted to try it on both meats to see how it scored on one versus the other.

The chicken had great flavor, tenderness and fairly good bite through skin. My teammate took all of the score sheets with him so I never really got a good look at where I was lacking. I do remember being surprised at the appearance scores on the chicken. Hard to tell from the pic (Iphone) because of the lighting and the angle, but this is some of the better looking chicken/tasting I have turned in. I took 2nd last year in this competition last year with the same recipe. My score on this chicken was a 164.56

I'd get him to send you a picture or a copy of the scores. It's very hard to determine what to do without a scoresheet

Good job on the ribs!

I'd get him to send you a picture or a copy of the scores. It's very hard to determine what to do without a scoresheet

Good job on the ribs!

I will get them tomorrow. I looked at them briefly but I was so tired that I don't remember anything that sticks out.

do you brine or inject your chicken? makes all the difference in the world with chicken...

I would tend to agree with you on this. I typically don't but my local store didn't have the sauce I wanted and I ended up having to make what i had work. Also, I kinda wanted to try it on both meats to see how it scored on one versus the other.

The chicken had great flavor, tenderness and fairly good bite through skin. My teammate took all of the score sheets with him so I never really got a good look at where I was lacking. I do remember being surprised at the appearance scores on the chicken. Hard to tell from the pic (Iphone) because of the lighting and the angle, but this is some of the better looking chicken/tasting I have turned in. I took 2nd last year in this competition last year with the same recipe. My score on this chicken was a 164.56

I don't know what your local store carries but there's no sauce at my local store that I'd dare put on anything I'm turning in. I suggest searching this forum for topics in the past on sauce and you'll see several options that many teams use that are consistently used on winning entries.

I would not be surprised on your appearance score. Judges aren't supposed to judge garnish but they do. your parsley looks wilted and not nicely put together and your sauce on your chicken looks thick, gloppy in spots and overall just heavily applied. The sauce is not appealing at all to me.

Viewing pictures isn't the same thing as being there...

The appearance, at least on my monitor, is more of a semi-gloss. If the set sauce isn't shining, give it a light spritz of water before closing the lid. You have to turn in the best product you have available. The thigh on the top left, with the dent in it, is distracting from the rest of the box. If it was you sixth best, you did everything you could.

As has been said, garnish should not be considered. But... if you are going to use parsley you might try to pack it in there tighter. If you can see a stem your aren't doing it right, or you don't have enough. You want the color to be as uniform as possible, and I see quite a bit of variation..

I would not be surprised on your appearance score. Judges aren't supposed to judge garnish but they do. your parsley looks wilted and not nicely put together and your sauce on your chicken looks thick, gloppy in spots and overall just heavily applied. The sauce is not appealing at all to me.

Fair enough....and I do appreciate the input. It's the only way I can get better! I will say though, the pic does not a great representation of how it looked. The sauce may look thick, but it really wasn't. I heated it up and thinned it down with apple juice, added agave nectar for shine. I actually thought it may not be thick enough when I dipped them. As far as shine, that's why I'm not a big fan of setting them back on the cooker after dipping. Seems to tack up the sauce and take away from that wet sheen. Here is a better pic that may show the sauce thickness. Scores were as follows:

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 101
Back