Steak Pad Kee Mao - One Spicy Bite

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Got a hankering for some Pad Kee Mao (also known as spicy drunken noodles)

This is a dish I have fought for years to figure out. Its simple, but can be very difficult to get just right. I think I've finally got it figured out. Any Thai experts out there with advice, please fire away.

Started out with doing all my prep work. Once you start cooking, you gotta be ready to roll..

Had about 1.5lbs of Skirt Steak. Juiced a lime on it, hit it with some Salt, peppa, and chipotle powder. Let it sit and get happy for an hour or 2. Really simple, really good. The noodles will have enough going on here..

Thai Chilis

Lots o garlic

Ok, all my prep is done.. That's red bells and onions in the back, Thai Holy basil on the right, Tomatoes in the middle.

The sauce recipe I used is as follows -
3 Tbs Oyster Sauce
2 tea Dark soy
1 Tbs Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce
2 Tbs Fish Sauce
1 Tbs Sugar

ok, time to cook... Skirt went on the screaming hot grill - 3 min a side

Done

While that rested, I made the pad kee mao

Low heat, cook chilis and garlic till aromatic and garlic starts to change color

Add Onions and Bells

Remove everything from the pan, crank up the heat to High high high. Then add wide rice noodles. (DO NOT BOIL rice noodles. Just soak them in luke warm water for 30 minutes prior to cooking. Trust me)

After noodles get a little char on them, go ahead and shut off the burner, add some sauce, then your onions and peppers back in. As the pan starts to cool, add your tomatoes, then some bean sprouts, then finally the holy basil.

I cut some smaller pieces of steak and mixed them in with the noodles, but saved the good stuff for the top

Oh man We love love love this meal. Spicy, savory, a little salty a little sweet. Just dynamite and so complex.

Now I need the help of the brethren. Which bite do I pick? I really can't decide. (this is for a throwdown afterall)

Thanks fer lookin

those pictures are magazine worthy!! awesome, small depth of field! really makes me hungry.

:clap:

Use the stix for that damn fine cook, Matt!!!!

Looks SO good!! Thanks for the recipe too, adding this to my must try list!:thumb:

Looks SO good!! Thanks for the recipe too, adding this to my must try list!:thumb:

Thanks! You'll dig it Jeanie, just beware those Thai chilis. Oh man do they have a kick!! I only used 4 little guys and we were sweating and blowing our noses the whole time!

Oh, for the TD, I'd use the second "one bite" picture - the middle one of the three with just the fork of food. They all look good, but that one looks best.

Dang that looks insane brother!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pic 1 2 or 3 are mine :laugh:

Back