Southern Pride and FEC Rotisserie Feedback Requested

unixadm

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm considering starting up a catering gig during the next 24 months. That would involve purchasing a NSF compliant catering trailer, rotisserie smoker, CVAP warmers and the other odds and ends needed for prep, cooking and serving.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2011 Cookshack Fast Eddy FEC-750, full stainless rotisserie pellet cooker with the smoke extractor provision. I've been a pellet guy and have owned several Cookshack products. I've been mostly happy with their performance. I do have some concerns that the 750 would be overkill and would make it hard to mount on a trailer to meet California HD standards. The unit has low use and is in good condition, but is missing six racks.

Pros:
- Relatively new.
- Smoke extractor.
- 500 miles away.

Cons:
- Size and Portability.
- Fuel consumption on smaller loads.

The second unit in a 2003 Southern Pride SPK-500 with stainless interior and the digital cook/hold controller. It does not have smoke extraction. It is well used, but the owner indicates it's been maintained. It's missing five racks, could use a new convection fan, and may need a conversion to LPG for my use. Overall the unit looks solid, but it could use a good cleaning, polishing and probably $3-500 in refurbishment (seals, racks, fan, grease, etc).

Pros:
- Full Stainless.
- Digital Controls.
- Size.

Cons:
- Age and Use.
- LPG conversion.
- Could use a deep clean / general refurbishment from restaurant use.
- A bit further at around 800 miles.
- I'm in CA, so having access to good large smoking wood besides oak can be a bit challenging.

I have not inspected either in person. Going off of pictures and talking with the current owners. Neither is local unfortunately. The SPK-500 is nearly $3,000 less than the FEC-750. From my reading, people seem to love the Southern Prides. From customer service to reliability to the product it puts out. Some have complained about lack of smoke, but those who don't have that problem are loading up the firebox in a staged manner with 5-6 logs/splits.

The FEC-750 has always received good comments about taste and performance. The only negative I've read about is the rotisserie being a weak link, along with the igniter rods. I have been cooking with pellets for years so I guess this is my comfort zone.

Resale is also important. I'm thinking that the FEC-750 may hold it's value just a bit better due to it's capacity and newness. I think the SPK-500 is near the lower end of it's depreciation cycle and it probably won't lose much value over the next couple of years.

So for those who use these things every day, tell me what your pros/cons of each. What spares should be kept on hand? What failures have you had? What are the results of the products you're cooking? Do you find your fuel consumption to be excessive? If you had it to do all over again, would you go a different direction?

I understand my message doesn't contain much detail. Cooking wise, butts, brisket, ribs, chicken, turkey, meatloaf, wings, etc. I'd probably have a smaller cooker, like an FEC120 for doing chicken and sides like beans. Not sure just yet about that.

Other cookers I've been kicking around would be:

- Ole Hickory CTO-DW
- FEC-500'

Whatever I buy must be NSF and UL compliant. I'm intrigued by the SP simply because it's something new. However the purists call it a gas oven and I've had food off of a SP here in the Sacramento area at Dickies. However I don't think they use much wood in their cooking process, but maybe they do. However we all said the smoke flavor was pretty weak compared to what I get at home on my pellet cookers, such as my Yoder YS1500.

I've been working for a Fortune 300 company for 18 years next month in Information Technology. I earn a great income, but I'm bored and don't love what I do like I once did. I have really come to like cooking and BBQ, plus I get a lot of great compliments about my food. That doesn't mean it's great, but the reason why I want to buy the cooker first is so that I can practice longer and really validate if it's the right thing to do or not. If not, I'll sell it and any other equipment I've sourced and come up with another idea. If it does, then I have the key component to the operation.

Thanks for any help or feedback.

[Californian]Hey Texan Dude... that's not kewl....[/Californian]

In all seriousness, I like oak, but wouldn't mind expanding my horizons a bit. Cherry, Almond and Walnut are fairly easy to come by around here. Apple and Pear can be had depending on the season.

I can't help with the SP. But we have been using a FEC 500 in our restaurant for the last four years. It has been a work horse. It goes 6 days a week for about 16 hours a day. Burns a little more than one 40 lb bag of pellets a day. So pretty efficient.

Now as far as smoke, that is a very individual question. For most of my customers, they feel it is fine. However I have had a few that want more smoke. Maybe they like things over smoked, who knows.

Have you thought of 2 smaller cookers. The reason I ask, is you can do different meats at different temps. We are in the process of looking for our second location and I am seriously thinking about 2 or 3 smaller cookers. (FEC 120's are high on the list. That way I can have the long cooks on one, ribs or chicken on the others and I am not opening the doors so often.

Best of luck

David

I have thought about 2-3 FEC120's or one larger cooker and an FEC120. I have pretty much settled on an FEC120 for a second smaller cooker.

I am now looking at a used FEC-500, just waiting on shipping estimates.

I appreciate your real world feedback on the FEC-500. Have you had any failures or gotchas with the FEC? What temperature are you running it at? I would actually prefer the FEC-500 over the FEC-750.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Very appreciative!

Hi Unixadm,

I've done IT for a long time too... I do that 5 days a week and sell BBQ the other 2 days. Keeps me busy.

I'm not going to advise you on one of those smokers (I'm a backwoods fan, and that won't work for your needs).

Just wanted to say I fully agree with David -- You might want more than one smoker -- for the reasons he mentioned. I understand budget constraints, but It's hard to do a lot (make money) out of one smoker.

Good luck with your choices!

I am now looking at a used FEC-500, just waiting on shipping estimates.

I appreciate your real world feedback on the FEC-500. Have you had any failures or gotchas with the FEC?!

We cook overnight around 246 and I bump the temps in the morning to 270 to finish the butts and briskets. That is the same temps we use for the ribs and chicken.

The typical issues like the hot rods are toast. I use a bernzomatic to light them. I have had one issue with the main board and the convection fan motor. I had a flare up that managed to melt the fan and it was out of balance and caused the motor to burn up. Cookshack handled all issues fantastically and at no cost. But that said, it has made me think of having redundant cookers. Also, those smaller or slower times when I don't need all that real estate to cook a couple items.

So you had a flare up inside of the unit? I thought these were pretty immune to that? The FEC-750 I'm looking at has had the control board replaced and all of the hot rods were just replaced.

The one thing about Cookshack is that the repair parts on the FEC line are extremely expensive when compared to Southern Pride. That's one thing I've noticed thus far.

I had a log jam of pellets, when it gave way it dumped a lot of pellets in the pot at once. Cause a high flame, then there was some build up on the fan (my fault for neglecting it) which caught fire. It burned up half of the fan and that uneven balance burned up the motor.

Buying directly from cook shack can be expensive, but all of the motors and stuff can be had at graingers for a fraction of the price. Easy if you are handy.

Cool. I'm very handy so repairing things isn't a problem. Thanks for the info.

I will tell you something, I have seen a lot of Southern Pride's and Old Hickory's in the most successful brick and mortar BBQ joints in the USA. I have never seen an FEC, ever.

Sorry, Ed. :razz:

I will tell you something, I have seen a lot of Southern Pride's and Old Hickory's in the most successful brick and mortar BBQ joints in the USA. I have never seen an FEC, ever.

Come to my place, it is right there when you walk in. :thumb:

Unixadm, Your idea to go with a backup smaller smoker is a wise decision and the FEC 120 is a good one to buy. I just bought an FE 120 last month to increase my product cooking capability and flexibility. I currently use a Lang 60, FEC 100 and the new FEC 120 as my main 3 smokers. I have others I pull into the mix for larger catering jobs such as wedding receptions. I am considering going with a FEC 500, SP SPX 500, Ole Hickory EL Series or Nolens rotiserie so I can leave one of the FEC's on my catering trailer all of the time. Good luck to you!

So how did this bbq adventure work for you ? Which unit did you end up going with?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

How many people are you planning on serving? I think I could do 300-400 on a single CTO...not even the DW. Just curious.

Dickey's BBQ is one of the fastest growing BBQ chains with a few hundred locations, and about two years ago switched from another brand and started putting FEC-500's in all of their new stores.

Back