I'm Getting Closer

Tom Sellecks Mustache

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Had a nother big smoke this weekend and due to unforseen camera issues, I am pronless :cry: Did a picnic roast, young chicken, bacon explosion fattie and mac and cheese.

Everything turned out really tasty and I'm really starting to get a better feel for the Q. Question about the picnic roast though, do they always come out so wet? I wrapped it at about 145 and pulled it at 203, then dropped it into a cooler for about an hour or so. Then when I opened it to pull it, it was totally soggy. The flavor was solid and all that, but i would have liked it to be just a tad more solid. Did I do something wrong or is that just how it turns out?

Try letting it run unwrapped a little longer into the cook, maybe wrapping around 165°F or so, that will remove a little more liquid from the meat before you trap it all in the foil.

did you unwrap it at all, i usually wrap it up then take the foil off teh pan for the last hour or so.

Ya, I only wrapped it this time because the last time it get really dry. Waiting until 165 or 170 will be my next shot, thanks for that! I got it bracketed, only a matter of time before I get a direct hit.

I don't wrap my ribs and they come out great, but I just hate when a shoulder cut dries out. Brings a tear to my eye

Back