best cheap frugal reliable smoker for 2 people?

B

bradymartin

just looking for a small smoker for 2 people. no electric or gas, just charcoal explicitly. we always load up on those $10 for 40 pounds of kingsford blue sales. i have a lodge sportsman hibachi for grilling which is awesome.

i looked at small bge but its terribly expensive for one rack of ribs or pulled pork for 2. i looked at the pit barrell cooker but it uses a ton of charcoal, and too big for my needs.

i looked at the weber go anywhere grill. its not a smoker but maybe i can adapt it for smoking?. also looked at the smokey joe, again adapting to smoke for 2 might be more work than i want to do.

so far ive come down to the cobb grill. ive seen many videos and read tons of reviews etc on it. i can smoke for 2 on that thing but there would be a learning curve.

any other options available before i order?

My opinion (based on myself trying to maximize value recently as well) would be to look at a weber kettle grill. Costs around $100 new (good used ones can be found in classifieds as well). It will give you great versatility and great quality. Out of the box, you can run it as a very very good smoker... check out this link for some info on the setup http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html. Plus, you can run it as a standard charcoal grill as well. There are lots of options, but dollar for dollar and based on the capacity you require - I would say this is the best choice in my opinion.

build a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) but instead of a 55 gallon drum, use a 30 gallon steel drum.

cost: FREE if you scrounge around.

my vote would be uds I just built mine and love it. its alot easier to use then my double barrel stick burner I built last year. cheap to

Inexpensive Grill / Smoker

I would recommend a Weber Jumbo Joe at about $60.00 dollars over the Cobb Grill.

The Cobbs are one great little grill for both grilling and smoking smaller items for a few people but the accessories are very expensive and you will need several. It will drive the total cost to above $225 dollars for most folks.

If you do decide to go with the Cobb, you will find that it is pretty easy to master and will produce great results.

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02753.jpg

Eight pound turkey breast on a cold Winter day.

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02756.jpg

Now that's juicy!!

DSC02757.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

You can cook for more than just two if needed with something like a turkey breast.

Good luck with your selection as either one of the above cookers would work.

Dave

For best value and versatility; I also suggest a Weber kettle.

Frugal versus Cheap

Frugal is being thrifty and accounting for every penny.

Cheap is being frugal to the point that it affects your quality of life.

There is a time and place for both states.

good luck

Ps: PBC uses 5-8# each cook, not a ton

Weber kettle sounds perfect. Plus you'd have an awesome grill too.

Search Craigslist for a used 22.5 or 18.5 Weber kettle. There is no more frugal way than that to be able to cook w/ any method you want, imo.

Or build a mini-WSM, which requires minimal skill (but you'll need a jigsaw.) by finding a SJ on CL and buying a 32-qt. Vasconia tamale pot.

Weber baby!

I agree the Weber Kettle is a great idea. I have smoked brisket, ribs, pork butt and chickens on mine and I found it for $20 off Craigslist.

Another idea is to build a Mini WSM out of a smokey joe. I have done that as well and it works great as both a smoker and grill and you can probably build it for $50-$75.

(charrederhead beat me by one minute, but I agree with everything he said except I would get a 22" Weber if you go that route. The extra space will come in handy, especially if you use it as a grill.)

Look at the 14.5 inch Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker. It's 199.00 on amazon (perhaps more than you wanted to spend) and it has all the benefits of the larger WSM's....just not the capacity. The Kettle suggestion is also a good idea....I've smoked some great meat on mine. Good luck.

18.5" WSM.
You said in the OP you want a smoker for two. The 18.5" WSM is all of that and more. Great temp control, economical to use, and when word gets out about your mad BBQ skills, room to cook more.

Make a mini wsm out of a Weber Smokey Joe and a tamale pot. Plenty of how-too's if you do a google search. IMO best little smoker going. They work great.

22.5'' Weber kettle.
the added room over the 18'' is better when doing indirect cooks. cause your basically using one side of grill. still plenty of room . also get the hinged cooking grate for easy refueling. another benefit with a kettle is you can snuff out fire when done and reuse coals for next cook. cost wise , I just picked up another 22.5'' silver off Craig's list for $40.00..........but still prefer the Weber performer for easier ash disposal. cant go wrong with either of them

I took the plunge on a WSM 18.5 recently. Just the wife and I. It's perfect for us. I also have the Weber 22 kettle, but prefer the WSM for smoking. I would buy it again. Looked at the BGE and clones but could not justify the price.

Back