Homemade or Commercial Sauce at Comps

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Do you guys and gals use homemade sauce, modified sauce or straight commercial sauce for your competition turn-ins? Also, if you modify or use straight, what brand do you like best?

yes

yes

and yes...

depends on time.... i make my own if theres time before an event.. otherwise I use commerical or private label ones as a base and doctor them up.

What he said! However, I mostly use commercial stuff doctored to the way I like it. This way I can have a glaze for some entries, and sauce for others. I have 3 pots that live on the Lang firebox.

I'm agreeing with Phil... 3 Yes answers here. One thing I have learned over the years is that it's hard to go foul with sweet, at least in KCBS events within 225 miles of Kansas City. I have several sauces both homemade, and commercially available that I like- but judges don't. In Colorado, I've found the judges like a little heat with thier sweet!

I usually end up doctoring - to put a hint of flavors I like into what others like. Cattlemen's Gold is a good base, 4 Men and a Pig, Three little pigs.

If you want an idea what local judges in a new area might like, ask the grocer what the best selling sauce they have on the shelf is. It is pretty easily attainable info these days - thanks to bar code scanners. :eek:)
Use it as your base...

Alot of guys Doctor quality sauses and rubs to their liking
At the Rose Bowl I bet half the turnins were QN4U sause with a lil
touch of this or that.

We make our own sauce. We add honey to the sauce for use as a glaze on our chicken and ribs.

Back