First cook on my new 1970s Weber Kettle

DrewZ

Knows what a fatty is.
Found a pre-1975 red kettle on craigslist this week. Time to see how she cooks.

Pretty clean for 40+ years old:
Bl27gCnxun_pI9rbz3YLid1TEYbnSI3RYeHOfK8wRpdFocUo5f-XzXG3m7CgYz6nJV2S_gfJk307--rJ7ONC1lIn6cKoSE-1TCfIi8oigNY85YwcPdvgnBfLwN3fE_VCp7o4BxUNpQ

The OTG gets to caddy this time. 8 briqs to start:
zbZVpdnLC0J7RoLavnuJ9kce3yj41nIjY6Pvs4ToLwEs-HxZW-V8QQjP2QwLeQtgvFFj3sd-TlskagsuG7L5wpQ4MFUnWDJlWtAW7IEPMgW5LYwLUxyozMPt9Int6-TQJo9lFi6aBg

The setup on Ol' Red: 3 layers of Stubb's briqs held in place by hickory splits behind 3 layers of HD foil.
JDnoAJi7HViu316vErDLp1MmH_pRLDlp2v99Tti-MZ7WR7iM42BJrUOcXjFe9sRCGyJ1j_XyMDvz1N5hLfq5G4_oYxI61ob1ITjrw4HMSweV3puB1e4dAYa7W2Z-PR6fVIrpJ9O0Dg

Fire in the hole
_qfxNOTRDcaEy-EUHwSpsQHrCPmIm9UYa827HelSdDUluiT-77JACdChXeD5HPt2_pQFfZB79OlMdKyDae9PJvB_rDc4yVDOh1Xijhqp4xhPU79RxvbW-LNb6Lnd14VIpUj0mLnw8w

A small shoulder to experiment with. SM Cherry, Pecan and Memphis Dust.
V7ifPhVZqJnnkNqnmP5NBBm_uksFMEfmMkF0Af7FOGLjNYdEqEag4NxgJCr9eCw_gedWBvKmEZj644pclFD1xwVot6S5v1iOPNNVT7xyz-T0XfXaMDjhBjOGTdGuLFz_DsLCX3PmJQ

Rubbed and ready
rq5_O7tMNKnOM2vqnKuh8HnGnRpmR6AtWjTl6836PblbAJc0poBf5RUPUQw6GADMT8lvrKqRFnc84gdvd4G718D4ga1Bx1y6wQjAbChVZZUOdTJIL_1CNx8mWoFnBLHEB0l_ygT_cA

Smoke's rolling
-6cbgU246QBGVQP7YGO3vpnHVyqlVp2IeK8oFq8afW7WWZ19bN1zeIVZo4FysZFlRiLYYCiqxqpd-BTAA51Jlo6ykcAaQ0EXUK5bJO6iyolsXnTObdWO87eUNsdZVes3RXnDu2Wicw

Pig on. Cast iron pan to catch drips and act as a heat sink.
gWJWbIi79YN3DGyjsQi_IeqpiHZ3tR8HfHDaPrnjjZ2wc8RPUMx4PfEiyyQi6d-KK5ylxAM2pP75-sm7wVPar2H1BoU9G44ISmJpYX3XKB6zeeKb3b-i92Y00SC-M5Gje76AL_DEjg

1 hour in, starting to take on color.
X0mxqMGR3Tui83FN1yY8BDdE31PiedpkqjsgoAcTHWZ0Mo-nRvsYJqzGGPpf39VTmAJqu-GOlCstdvHMF7upNn0xWX5SjKlvV37Yd_SqeHUJsSD9keIMV42KLoRGQC5PqbjXAFR9lg

Holding steady at 250. More to come . . .

Last edited:
One of the nice things about a daisy wheel kettle is that the foil on the coal grate is not needed, since you only open the vent below the charcoal.
I've never stacked charcoal like that, interesting. I suppose it packs more fuel in the given space, when I think about it.

Looks like you are off to a great start. Congrats on the new vintage Weber.

One of the nice things about a daisy wheel kettle is that the foil on the coal grate is not needed, since you only open the vent below the charcoal.
I've never stacked charcoal like that, interesting. I suppose it packs more fuel in the given space, when I think about it.

Since it's a test run, I stacked neatly to take one potential variable out of the equation.

3 hours in, it's been rock steady and hasn't used much fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpg
    IMG_3007.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 265
Awesome I have a 18 year old kettle still in great shape do you know what I mean Lord do you know what I mean heard that some where before just can't remember must b getting old

Another nice thing about a kettle that old is that the top vent is smaller, so it's easier to do lower temperature cooks. My 1979 A kettle's top vent holes are around 5/8", while the 1993 P's are 3/4". I do my low and slow cooks on the A, chicken on the P.

4+ hours
3vwLXM9RK6eZe6ucT-hL1FqZSMPRxXf-xLHWTwCW7CaigTFkQJJJUrxhSs5epQGIo4q3N9chP2g1U2OTVufiaLVROkSFiKMOB9zA5rUGo7b5OEySofa3SYu2euAwzU2MjZKo5zvMRQ

Wrapped it at around 175 IT with some butter, apple jelly and a splash of chicken broth, then let it go until probe tender. After a rest in the cooler, here she is.
2j5Ua0ExrSanOuYRG6XpFRUy9gU0NI1OKgBY3haC6amzbK4WJI0bKoDjqVmREY4aNXv_Sem_9f3MtX4arXTzq59900-juI7XiAQLz1M07GAULCmxtFisvkkU3V8KAqnc3k1pntp7EQ

Partially disassembled with the accumulated foil juices.
AOYwW1Y3roJs6tAASFlf6CwTVwrpyBPfjtkrb3_vYakObTJjUNGmMWp211bk5Pgg7J9TMJlvAjxa8pyYzfc3szRbZUI_Ys1Q-exIKCe0tr0Gxlg2ZEthdjqrc68KcCtLXDrU4k4Y5g

And pulled.
uUufTPOQIqyhAa18F7kCJiv20CDRJ2C1UY5NOSN8dVCvf1fkXOFNUb-dnTYxOcxU9tp8O4i-_dYFwLMQIlzpG7psOXAP5dbnba7-EdhgL_RgKW3i4a3xsb2QiRonlOS4Od8FqVqofA

This little test shoulder ate real well. First time trying Blues Hog Tennessee Red (seemed appropriate). That's a damn fine pork sauce. Will definitely do it again. Love the new addition, and plan on using it for longer cooks going forward. Using the hickory splits instead of the usual bricks as a barrier worked great. I didn't need to add any chunks for smoke, but I did add one chunk of apple just to give a little smoke variety.

Since it's a test run, I stacked neatly to take one potential variable out of the equation.

3 hours in, it's been rock steady and hasn't used much fuel.

I have some broken fire bricks that I use now in place of the concrete ones, but this is what I have used, with a drip pan where the ashes are, for a long time.
picture.php

Basicly, with a drip pan, the foil made no difference, and was just one more thing distracting me from another beer...

OK, OP Obviously - YOU used TOO much Coals.
Just in case someone wants to do this again..
I use a sheet pan cut to slide down keeping coals on one side, heat on the other...

I have some broken fire bricks that I use now in place of the concrete ones, but this is what I have used, with a drip pan where the ashes are, for a long time.
picture.php

Basicly, with a drip pan, the foil made no difference, and was just one more thing distracting me from another beer...

Do the same thing with the fire bricks. Works really well.

Gorgeous vintage kettle and some great looking pork!

Great idea using the split instead of bricks! I'm gonna have to try that one of these days...

3 hours in, it's been rock steady and hasn't used much fuel.[/QUOTE

Great score at a great price. Looks like a little used grill that should last you a long time. To add to the life, I'm going to make a suggestion and please do not take it wrong. Using the grill like that with the coals banked to the side will eventually cause crazing, the cracking and chipping of the exterior finish. Check out a Slow-N-Sear insert for doing offset cooks. It's about $90 but will save that finish and extend the life of the grill. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Slow-N-Sear. Just a suggestion to help save the finish on a pristine grill that with care, should last you a lifetime.
Not looking for a flame war and will go back to my corner and keep reading.

I have a couple of red Webers, not in as good of shape, but I'd buy another one if I could find one in the shape that your is in.

Robert

Back