Competition Pork Butt turn in box

Cap5233

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Doing another practice run just pork butt for an upcoming competition and I was curious what is the best approach for the turn in box. I'm planning on doing sliced money muscle, larger chunks, and then pulled/shredded. I've been doing some research in regards to box presentation and I need some help advice regarding sauce. I sauce/glaze the butt right at the end but am curious if I should toss some of the chunks and pulled pieces in a thinned out sauce. I've looked up images and some boxes seem O'natural and others it looks like they got some sauce on them, even the money muscle. This sauce looks very thin in nature. Thoughts, tips, suggestions>??

From a judge's perspective: if you sauce, make sure it is LIGHT!!! All the judges that I've talked with are looking for good pork flavor and not just the flavor of the sauce. Also, stay away from sauces that have a strong flavor as pork is delicate and strong sauces will mask the flavor of the pork instead of enhancing it.
Make sure the pork looks moist, but thick or heavy sauce won't help too much past Appearance.

Last edited:
50/50 mix of juice left over from wrapping and sauce makes a good glaze. Just go light as not to cover up the porky goodness.

i would probably sauce the pulled, lightly sauce or glaze the chunks and go with a brushing of defatted pan juices on the sliced. i would also give it a spritz of water right before closing the box.

Back