Who invented the ABT?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Who coined a barbecued bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno an "Atomic Buffalo Turd" ? Who invented it?

We have weeping ribs and you have to ask?!!! :laugh:

I invented SBT's though. :mrgreen: What's a SBT you ask... hmmm

As the unofficial, self-appointed, historian of the BBQ Brethren :rolleyes: let me offer this...

The earliest reference I have found on the Brethren goes back to one of the earliest posts on the forum in 2003, and a recipe posted in our recipe section by Phil, BBQChef33, also in 2003. But, that post and recipe are not the earliest reference i can find. The following was posted to the Porch BBQ List on 7/30/2000

Cowtown Wolf Turds
By Bigwheel

30-40 Fresh jalapenos (large ones)
1 raw pork tenderloin. (may substitute loin)
1lb bacon
soy sauce
lemon pepper.

Slice pork loin into thin wafers
Marinate in soy sauce.
Split, seed and devein peppers*
Stuff peppers with pork slices.
Wrap with half slice of bacon and pierce with toothpick.**
Dust with lemon pepper seasoning.
Grill or smoke till done.

Cowtown Dragon Turds
Substitute habanero peppers.

* heat can be adjusted by removing the veins in the peppers.
* The next time I make them I will use bamboo skewers and leave a space
between them. When serving cut between turds. This should speed up the
labor process.

This article...

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...con_wrapped_stuffed_jalapenos/#When:09:41:00Z

supports this and lists Bigwheel, Jeff Wheeler, as the creator of the concept, and then Wiley “Coyote” Mixon as the creator of the term Atomic Buffalo Turd.

I haven't found anything earlier than that so far.

I've just always called them poppers. When I first came to this site one of the biggest reasons I appreciated it was because you all made the farkers too. I thought this place couldn't be too bad if you made those delicious things. Even if you did call them bison feces. Of course I didn't ever make any until about 2002 or so. That's when I first started making things from real scratch instead of 'Lipton scratch.'

From Greece to Malta they have been stuffing peppers with cheese and cooking them, for centuries.
Does that help?
:noidea:

From Greece to Malta they have been stuffing peppers with cheese and cooking them, for centuries.
Does that help?
:noidea:

But I am talking about ABT which needs to be barbecued/grilled and be wrapped in bacon.

We always called em poppers down here as well, and have seen them at BBQs for 20+ years. Never quite understood the phrasing of them as ABTs until I came to the brethren.

Even then it seems like an abbreviation for a long, and confusing name. I always list them as poppers on the menu. "ABTs" would require too much explanation.

Still, for us, they have ALWAYS just been stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Never even dreamed of the variations I've heard about here, and have had great times trying em! Pineapple, rubbed, sauced, sausage, smokies, different cheeses... what a ride!

I remember my dad stuffing peppers with various cheeses and meats (just cheese was the favorite though), wrapped in bacon and cooking them on the grill back in the late 70's. They were just called stuffed peppers though.

I think the key is to find who coined the term ABT's.

Mi tinks it wuz Rosarita Rodrigez Gonzales De Lopez ever heared of chili relleno?

I think the key is to find who coined the term ABT's.
I agree. Coulda called a more tasteful name.
Made 'em for Poker last Friday and I am ordered to make 40
for a guys Memorial day party.

I really like the sweet multi colored peppers. I coined the term "SBT" "Sweet Buffalo Turd"

It's mine....it's all mine I say!!! :p

Back