Brisket Smoke ring Help

Jeffm827i

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So my buddy and I have decided to do our first local KCBS competition in a few weeks. Yesterday I did a practice Waygu brisket. It was ok, I think I might have over cooked it doing H&F. Anyway I have not ever really been able to achieve a visible smoke ring. I used Post Oak and Pecan wood. I have used different rubs including simple S&P with Garilc salt and onion powder. Still same result. Not sure if using fruit wood will help (cherry), afraid it might in part sweet to the meat which is not the flavor profile I am looking for. Any how looking for advice.

I have had the same issues off and on for years also, did one Easter and ran 250-275 with apple wood and finally got a decent smoke ring

Last edited:
You say 'Hot and Fast', are you doing that for the entire cook? It is not uncommon for any cook that runs over 300°F to not have a smoke ring, or to have a minimal one. Lower your heat for the first 90 minutes or so, down around 225°F and then raise it. The smoke ring will be more noticeable.

I would note, however, that smoke rings are specifically ignored in competition judging, and I believe that for the most part, judges will ignore them. It is too well known that they can be faked. I would work much more on taste and tenderness, than on a smoke ring.

You say 'Hot and Fast', are you doing that for the entire cook? It is not uncommon for any cook that runs over 300°F to not have a smoke ring, or to have a minimal one. Lower your heat for the first 90 minutes or so, down around 225°F and then raise it. The smoke ring will be more noticeable.

I would note, however, that smoke rings are specifically ignored in competition judging, and I believe that for the most part, judges will ignore them. It is too well known that they can be faked. I would work much more on taste and tenderness, than on a smoke ring.

^^^ This 100%

If you are competing work on what will win you the prize over what most judges won't take into account.

I cook hot and fast on my UDS and Weber kettles and I always get a very pronounced smoke ring regardless of what type of wood I use. I also start throw the meat on between 225-250 and then ramp up the heat after 45mins-1hour. I also do not wrap until the bark gets to the color I want.

So my buddy and I have decided to do our first local KCBS competition in a few weeks. Yesterday I did a practice Waygu brisket. It was ok, I think I might have over cooked it doing H&F. Anyway I have not ever really been able to achieve a visible smoke ring. I used Post Oak and Pecan wood. I have used different rubs including simple S&P with Garilc salt and onion powder. Still same result. Not sure if using fruit wood will help (cherry), afraid it might in part sweet to the meat which is not the flavor profile I am looking for. Any how looking for advice.
Here's an interesting article on exactly what a smoke ring is and what creates it.:wink:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

meat absorbs smoke best when it is cold. The advice of starting the cook off at a lower temperature is really good.

That's what I will be doing. I have Just always wondered why I have never achieved the pronounced smoke ring. Flavor and Tenderness here we come! Got some work to put in.

Cooked on a UDS, over lump and briquettes, wood was likely apple and pecan, started with meat cold after sitting on counter for 30 minutes. Cooker was at 225°F going in, vents opened to naturally rise to 300°F during cook. I believe this was most likely my basic rub, which is nothing special, salt, pepper, garlic and onion granules and a tiny bit of sugar.

brisket5.jpg

I am using a UDS.
You should still have a great SR even going over 300*. I'm always cooking my brisket or chuckies @ 275-300 and looks like lipstick.

You can cook part way @ 225 but you'll get a cleaner fire hence better flavor going with a hotter fire vs more of a smoldering fire. Cleaner fire makes better Q and if you have wood chunks burning through early part of the cook you'll get the smoke ring.

Here are burnt ends from a brisket I cooked at 225 for two hours and then raised the temp to 275 until done. (Straight pecan in my offset)

picture.php

You should still have a great SR even going over 300*. I'm always cooking my brisket or chuckies @ 275-300 and looks like lipstick.

You can cook part way @ 225 but you'll get a cleaner fire hence better flavor going with a hotter fire vs more of a smoldering fire. Cleaner fire makes better Q and if you have wood chunks burning through early part of the cook you'll get the smoke ring.

I am going back to the 250 range. I usually get it settled in and that's where she likes to run with a light thin blue smoke coming out. Using wood chunks form Fuita as well. Got me baffled but practice makes perfect so practice we will do.

I am going back to the 250 range. I usually get it settled in and that's where she likes to run with a light thin blue smoke coming out. Using wood chunks form Fuita as well. Got me baffled but practice makes perfect so practice we will do.

Yea good idea at least going 250 because it's better smoke. 225 in a stick burner is still a hot fire so you can get away with it but in a charcoal burner is too much smoldering for the best smoke.

Here are burnt ends from a brisket I cooked at 225 for two hours and then raised the temp to 275 until done. (Straight pecan in my offset)

picture.php

Great tip!
But do you use water in water pan in the first 2 h? Or all over the cooking session? Or nothing at all?
Do you foil????

Last edited:
Great tip!
But do you use water in water pan in the first 2 h? Or all over the cooking session? Or nothing at all?
Do you foil????

I haven't done water on the brisket but was also going to try that as well. Should that help as well?

Back