Cooking a Hog on my new Meadow Creek PR60 (pron)

Trailer Trash

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my first cooked 80 Lbs. hog on my new Meadow Creek PR60G pig roaster (used charcoal/wood no gas). Thank you to all the research I did here from the Brethren's. Here's the basics of what I learned and what we did;
- Most of the numbers I found say to figure 1 Lbs. of whole uncooked hog per guest and to plan a cook time of 1 hour per 10 Lbs.+ 2 hours. Example: An 80 Lbs. Pig should feed 80 guests and take 10 hours to reach around 185 degrees at a cook temperature of 250+ degrees. I found that to be fairly accurate but would not count on that exactly if I had this much at risk...

- The night before, we injected a half gallon of 50/50 apple juice/dark apple vinegar into every part of the pig. We then lightly oiled it down with canola oil and sliced cuts into the skin (not meat) with a standard utility razor knife. Applied a basic pork butt rub entirely on the inside cavity. We also rubbed the external skin as well (not sure this was important and it may have darkened the end product a bit more). Put the pig back into cooler/ice for the night. Prepared the roaster with 40 Lbs. of Kingsford charcoal w/ (6) 3" X 12" diameter logs on top. Left pockets of space in all four corners.

- At 5:00AM, lit (2) charcoal chimneys, poured half into each corner. It took one hour to get going good. (In the future I would put the logs on the bottom and the charcoal on top of it keeping the flames down during the initial cook) Put on the grease tray. With the grate on 2 saw horses and the pig on back, cover the entire length of the inner cavity spine/rib area with foil to protect the loin from drying out. Place pig into "racer" position and get er into cooker.

- At 2.5 to 3 hour mark with temperatures north of 250 degrees we laid foil loosely over pig because color was a nice brown. (this worked really good and kept the color in fairly good balance)

From 3 to 10/11 hour mark there may have been some libations consumed. I can't/won't say for sure...

Anyway, take a look. It was excellent taste and the 50+ guest were really impressed. Phone cameras came out and within an hour about 10 people showed up from nowhere and I have no idea who they were! Lots of fun. Again, a big thank you to the Brothers for all the info to make this happen!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Fantastic! I would also like to see some pics of the carved/shredded result.

To me, the whole hog is the pinnacle of Q. Hope to do one someday.

I went in the house to take a shower and change clothes. When I came out there were about 50 people that had showed up. Being my first pig, I about crapped my pants worried that it wouldn't be good but again, ... the "Brothers" didn't let me down. I didn't think to get any after pics. Things happened pretty fast after we cut and peeled the carcass away. The neighborhood converged on it like wolves :) We served it with buns, slaw, Carolina sauce and Kansas City sweet sauce. I saw a number of boys (I'd guess about 9-12 years old) go back 3 times, load up a heap of pork, no buns and sit down and gorge themselves. It was juicy, flavorful and very tender. I really have to give credit to the rest of my neighborhood that pitched in to help. Very proud

Excellent looking food and presentation. :thumb:

Back