Status
Not open for further replies.

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weeks cut of meat is:

Spareribs!
spareribs.jpg

For a definition of this specific cut, see here. Please, no Baby Backs, Loin Backs, or any form of Beef Ribs. You can trim or otherwise deal with your spares however you see fit for this contest!:thumb:

So you think you have what it takes to be the Sparerib Master??? Well, PROVE IT!!!:twisted:

Below are the rules for this contest.

1. This contest is open from Thursday 3/3 until Wednesday 3/9 at midnight Central US time. Dishes must be cooked and photos submitted within this timeframe.
2. You must cook the cut of meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.
3. Only one dish may be submitted per person.
4. You must submit at least one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in whole form while cooking), and at least one photo of your completed dish. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result.
5. Your dish must consist of Spareribs as a primary feature.
6. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a steak you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced steak, and dressed with other foods. However, a steak with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on it's own.
7. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
8. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
9. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
10. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
9. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
10. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

OK all you wannabe BBQ'ers, LET'S GET COOKING!!!:cool: There can be only one!:boxing: Do you have what it takes to be the Sparerib Master?

NEXT CUT: Tri-Tip Roast (begins Thursday 3/10)

Last edited:
Uh Oh. Closes tonight and no entries!

I really wanted to get in on this. I made a trip to Memphis back in January and have been dieing to try and duplicate the ribs I got there, but life just hasn't co-operated.

I hope someone gets in on this, because I like the concept of being a Master of Meat. I think the timing is just rough.

Yea, timing was my issue. But if I could be the only entrant, maybe I could go boil some real quick. BRB.

I wonder if someone's gonna try the microwave? Oh wait...Gore tried that once...

Well, in the spirit of full disclosure, these spares were not cooked today. I cabbaged a few full racks a few weeks back, fabbed them into St Louis style, and smoked a rack off on the UDS. The trim is now sausage. Just ran out of flippin' time this week to do a new cook. Posting these just in support of the cause.
sparesraw.jpg

sparessmoker.jpg

sparesplate.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nice entries!!!
All 1 of them!!:shock:

Wanted to get in on this one, but......just didn't happen. Too busy.
I know.....:violin:

Oh well......looks like I know who I'm voting for!
Nice job Bob!!!

...guess there's nearly an hour left, eh?

A little ribbing ought to be okay, especially if it is just to get oven.

I just envisioned a LOT of entries for each of these categories, especially for spare ribs. Is it time to ask about Plan B? Longer submission period? Delay the regular throwdown? How about don't close the submission thread until the day after the 20th entry is posted? I mean, spare ribs! There should be tons of entries.

Nice entry Bob! Glad to see someone managed to get an entry in. Doesn't Gore have a streak of TD entries to maintain?

I did have a streak, but I've been home only on weekends the last 4 weeks. That's two possible days to cook. If you figure I do one throwdown and my wife does another, they're already set for a lot of leftovers and that already makes for a busy weekend. I just couldn't see working in spare ribs, nor am I competent enough to compete (not that I ever let that stop me before).

I was more worried about Marty and his new learned knowledge. You Pleasanton dudes have been rocking it lately.

If Marty had spares instead of baby backs it would have been a fine entry.

I did have a streak, but I've been home only on weekends the last 4 weeks. That's two possible days to cook. If you figure I do one throwdown and my wife does another, they're already set for a lot of leftovers and that already makes for a busy weekend. I just couldn't see working in spare ribs, nor am I competent enough to compete (not that I ever let that stop me before).

I'm amazed the two of you manage to enter as many TDs as you do and I hadn't really thought about the amount of leftovers you'd have!

I couldn't fit this one into my schedule plus we still have quite a bit of leftover Q. I really need to invest in a food sealer.

I just envisioned a LOT of entries for each of these categories, especially for spare ribs. Is it time to ask about Plan B? Longer submission period? Delay the regular throwdown? How about don't close the submission thread until the day after the 20th entry is posted? I mean, spare ribs! There should be tons of entries.
Clearly something is not working. I figure it is one of these:

1. Bad idea, stop doing it.
2. One week is too short of a time to enter.
3. Too much conflict with the regular Throwdowns.
4. It is a plot by the super secret left wing cabal in order to promote veganism.

I'm pretty sure it's option 4, but in case I am wrong about that I am going to go through a process of elimination to see what it is, which will either help make this work, or make me decide to just stick with the regular Throwdowns.

Well....this isn't technically a Throwdown. It's an entirely different thing. Maybe not like another league, but maybe another division, or perhaps just a friendly neighbor who occasionally shares things.

ribscutsect.jpg

I am quite disappointed in the final shot, I have got to figure out how to photograph ribs correctly with my current camera. The eating however, was not a disappointment. The cooking thread.

Bob,

Those look good. I'm not sure what your specific complaint about the photo is. I thought the photo turned out quite good. Lighting is good. You got good focus in the center of the frame with crisp detail. Without the food in front of me, the colors look good, they really pop. The meat does look a little like a pork chop, but that may be accurate.

My TD photos aren't that great, because I'm always in a hurry and feel weird taking photos of food in front of my wife and friends as the food is going to the table. But I take a LOT of photos for work. Two things I've found that can really help:

For better detail and crispness when shooting that close, set your camera to the Macro setting. On Cannon cameras, this is the "flower" button. It will really help capture the really fine details, the the hairs on your arm. When shooting at this distance, it can make a big difference.

If it is the colors, try checking the White Balance setting on your camera. Most come stock set to Auto. I've found with my work camera that manually setting it to fluorescent helps with the colors, assuming that you have fluorescent lights.

If you're fighting with the flash-over when shooting up close, try taking a step or two back and using zoom. This will make the flash weaker and balance the light out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back