• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hatfield Ribs

Podge

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I had ordered a case of Hatfield st. Louis ribs to do a bit of R&D with. My immediate reaction is that there aren't that good, and certainly overpriced for what they are.. I will be cooking a couple of racks this weekend to see how they really are. Not fair of me to judge so quickly before cooking them, but I'm not overly optimistic to say the least. Any one else have experience with these ribs?

What didn't you like about them? They are a local company here and I've had them many times and haven't had a problem that I can recall. I don't think they are enhanced either, at least the ones I've had.

What didn't you like about them? They are a local company here and I've had them many times and haven't had a problem that I can recall. I don't think they are enhanced either, at least the ones I've had.

I Have 8 racks, 3 of which have a lot of bacon fat on them. A lot!.. They are to be selected for competition, and to have that kind of inconsistency in selection, makes me wonder. there were a few racks that look like they could be ok. If I buy 10 racks of ribs, advertised as competition ribs, they then should be all consistent, especially at $24 each after shipping.. Even if I get all that bacon fat cooked out of them, with so much of the surface of the ribs being fat, I can't imagine any rub I put on that top would actually flavor/season the meat.

(the other 2 racks are 2 different type of ribs they put in there for me to try out too.. so, it's not that I can't add or anything:-D I bought 10 total.)

I am going to cook 2 of those racks on sunday.. one of which I deem as ok, and the other one with the bacon fat on... I will say, I bet those bacon ribs would be great to me!!.. but I'm leary that all that bacon fat can cook out.. can't turn in a fatty rib.. that doesn't score well.

Have a picture? I prefer a fatty rib to one without any fat at all. Not sure exactly what you are calling bacon fat without seeing it.

Have a picture? I prefer a fatty rib to one without any fat at all. Not sure exactly what you are calling bacon fat without seeing it.

I intend to take a picture and post it. For instance, when you have the thick side of the slab, there's that false cap at the end 1 or 2 bones. Imagine that through the entire length, and a bit thicker. You can't even see where the bones could be.

Those sound like them fancy-dancy ribs from SRF. I had to trim 1/4-1/2 inch fat off the whole meat side of the rack.

I did a comp last year where they gave you the ribs. I don't know if they were Hatfield or not but one of the racks had the same type of thick fat you're talking about. Turns out I didn't plan well because of that extra fat. If I'd have had another hour I'll bet we would've done well but they just didn't have enough time to render.

I will say while I usually find nothing wrong with Hatfield ribs I don't know if I would spend that kind of money to cook with them specifically. You can probably find something just as good locally. I'm assuming you figured that out already.

If you think duroc is high, buy some berkshire.

I've tried both of those too.. not impressed. Going back to Swift's or other commodity pork ribs.

I bought (5) 3 packs of Swifts the other day.. I should find 8 decent racks out of that I hope.. cook up the other 7, sell them, and end up with close to free ribs for contests... (works well on paper anyway)

I've used Hatfield ribs once, and probably never again. No uniformity from one rib to the other, and one must have been an inch and a half thick. Brisket bone was still attached to the back with lots of excess fat everywhere..... that was my experience!

Anyone else with any experience with these ribs? trying to decide if it's worth the money to "upgrade."

Back