Copying photos *ADMIN NOTE - an example of what not to do **

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

ADMIN NOTE: THIS SITUATION HAS BEEN EASILY RECTIFIED, AND THE THREAD MOVED TO OUR RULES SECTION AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN HAPPEN WHEN COPYING MATERIAL.

PLEASE BE COGNIZANT WHEN COPYING MATERIAL, COPYRIGHT OR NOT. GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE AND WHEN UNKNOWN, AT LEAST STATE THE SOURCE OF THE MATERIAL. IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO GET PERMISSION FOMR THE AUTHOR.

it's been brought to my attention someone has been posting my photos on another forum, a photography forum. you do not have permission to post my stuff anywhere and especially without asking first. why do you think i put my name on them? it is NOT so you can copy and post them because you "thought i might like my talent to be more widely appreciated".

my stuff is stock photography at best anyway. if i want to have my "talent" more widely spread, i will post my photos where and when i want to spread them. i choose to post here and only here at the bbq brethren forum.

you want people to see my stuff, send them here and they can view qtalk as a guest.
>>>>>> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

thank you

Rick, the brethren get soooo much enjoyment from what you do. It would Pi$$ed me off big time if someone is gangstering your photos. That is real cool that you want them on this forum so I hope all the brethren will let you know if they see them somewhere else. We appreciate you brother!!!

Wasn't me! I never mess with images! :wink:

delight.jpg

Sorry to hear that, Bro! Do you know who it is?

Agreed.. not cool.. hopefully it was not intentional. I think it would be best for the person to go unnamed in public and for RTD to work with the person via PM to resolve.

We certainly don't want to lose future great pics from RTD over something like this..

Rick I look forward to your posts/pics. I hope this does not continue. That is a total lace of respect

ok, I am the bad guy that posted Rick's pictures somewhere else - with their copyright signature - they were not "pirated" - they were posted with his copyright signature with all credit given to him. And not on a forum, just to some people on the forum.

I was delusional, I thought posting his pictures, with all credits, for some of my friends, would exemplify just how great the photograpy was on the Brethern. I am really sorry to have been BAD-

Rick and I had a little altercation - I really thought we were over that but guess that is my misunderstanding.

I will not post any of his photos anywhere - it is my friend's loss - the photography is awesome but there is no way I would risk Rick not posting his photos.

Sorry I may have just barged in here and created turmoil - not my intent- I was just really impressed and wanted to share - NOT pirate - all of my friends got the photos with Rick's copyright/signature so I am not sure what the problem is:confused:

But I do know, I upset him - for that I am sorry - was not my intent and I sure hope he does not punish me/us by not posting any more pics:cry:

This was the ultimate good intent gone awry - sorry....................

ljh34465, forgiveness is on Rick, but I respect you for speaking up and admitting the action. Hopefully you guys can work things out...

And RTD, dude, your pics are a big part of making this sight so different from many of the others. I really empathize with your frustration, please don't let this one incident leave to sour a taste on your otherwise well seasoned palate...

Rick, as someone struggling to become a better photographer, I
1) completely understand your concern and
2) hope you keep posting because I analyze almost every pic you do to learn lessons from them. I wonder what fstop you used, what lens, how did you use the natural light's angle, did you add a little post production work, whatever, I just don't want to pester you with all my questions unless I have something specific.

And ljh34465
While I think you should have asked permission first, I do respect you coming clean and calling "mea culpa" in public.

These days, we are lucky if information is not hacked and stolen off of our computers. Once we publicly post something out to the internet (any forum, website, blog, etc...) it is unreasonable to think that it is copyrighted and wont be shared. If these pictures were of value they would have been copied in mass production in China and distributed with fake licenses. Rick, you should be flattered that these pictures are being shared and everyone needs to relax a little, I don't see any major crimes being committed here...

I have to agree. Posting something on a public internet forum makes it fair game. It's not like he claimed them to be his own. Isn't that why you spend the time to watermark them?

it's been brought to my attention someone has been posting my photos on another forum, a photography forum. you do not have permission to post my stuff anywhere and especially without asking first. why do you think i put my name on them? it is NOT so you can copy and post them because you "thought i might like my talent to be more widely appreciated".

my stuff is stock photography at best anyway. if i want to have my "talent" more widely spread, i will post my photos where and when i want to spread them. i choose to post here and only here at the bbq brethren forum.

you want people to see my stuff, send them here and they can view qtalk as a guest.
>>>>>> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

thank you
just so ya know rick- especially w/ yer tag on them- anytime you post something on the net, that is considered published & copyrighted- sue their arse.:twisted: watermark them too- saiko just pirated ya...(no offense saiko- it's just that easy)
hell.. i'd offer to feed ya to do some pics of mine but ya prolly outcook me too....

Last edited:
I say we have the guy beaten and force him to watch the same slide shows from Grand Canyon vacations, over and over again.

I dream of the day someone thinks my photos are so good they want to use them as examples of quality food art.

It appears at least one person attempted to handle this "behind closed doors" which is where it should have stayed.

I have to agree. Posting something on a public internet forum makes it fair game. It's not like he claimed them to be his own. Isn't that why you spend the time to watermark them?
i am not an attny. & don't claim to be but copyright law is fuzzy,- when you post it (on the net)under current cr u.s. law- that is cr & published material.
now you can spend the bucks & tr(trademark) you name & label your things under that- lot better protection but more costly- as far as i'm concerned- Rick should be in business......:eusa_clap

sorry for another post but rick- you are truly great @ what you do..
do ya know what they do to food for mag ads or commercials to make them look good under lights- i'll just say varnishes & various silicone gels(non edible for sure). seriously think about tm'ing your stuff & working toward some photography gigs-
like i said, i would be happy to have you do some of my stuff for my site & menus but ya'd prolly outcook me too & we just can't have that, plus i can't play nice-nice w/ egg heads- lol.....:-D

I know a few food bloggers and this is a huge problem for them. Anyone that shoots good photos should beware. In this case, the person that posted them came forward, but, I have a friend that has been chasing a person for over a year, has gotten ZERO help from the guys ISP and is finding his images used and sold for other peoples profits. It is a bummer as many of you guys post great photo's, I enjoy the pron here, Rick's efforts are pretty fine stock work if you ask me.

I know a few food bloggers and this is a huge problem for them. Anyone that shoots good photos should beware. In this case, the person that posted them came forward, but, I have a friend that has been chasing a person for over a year, has gotten ZERO help from the guys ISP and is finding his images used and sold for other peoples profits. It is a bummer as many of you guys post great photo's, I enjoy the pron here, Rick's efforts are pretty fine stock work if you ask me.

Yes, people pirating other people's work has been a problem as long as their has been publishing. Thousands of years...

In this case it wasn't pirating. It was a misguided attempt to do a good thing. I've always found it to be a good policy to look at someone's "intent" before I got offended at something. From what's been presented here it doesn't look like malicious intent or someone wanting to steal someone else's work. Just someone trying to do something nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back