Tri-tip......two more ways......

1buckie

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Finally got my Imperial Sequoia Weber Kettle cart in somewhat working order........needed a handle, a re-positioning of the ash pan holder & a charcoal grate jumped over from another Kettle....

P1010012.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010014.jpg

It's a 3-wheeler & in almost perfect bowl condition, so I use baskets to avoid possible heat damage that can happen from banking coal, maybe especially on the old ones.....this is a 1970.......

P1010022.jpg

The inaugural cook was tri-tip @ 300f, which it held like a champ for hours with one small coal addition.....heavy bowl on this thing.....the heat just camps out & stays put.........

P1010023.jpg

Works fine, dawg approved......

P1010025.jpg

Set over the coals a couple time just to speed it up for dinner.......

P1010026.jpg

While that's finishing up, got the old style Weber Wok set to go.....

P1010003_1.jpg

P1010002_1.jpg

"Honey.....where did I put my meat hook?"

P1010004_1.jpg

Yep.......Deep fried Tri-tip.......

P1010005_1.jpg

P1010009_1.jpg

P1010011_1.jpg

While that's going, the grilled one finished up.......

P1010013_1.jpg

P1010014_1.jpg

P1010015_1.jpg

Back outside, grilled some zucchini to go w/ dinner & check in on the boiler.....

P1010016_1.jpg

It's real hard to see, but of the three kettles up on the rack in the back by the tree......the 18" on the right has a little blemish looking thing on the bowl.....it's actually a hummingbird sitting in the clothesline, watching & listening to the deep fry....it was loud....she stayed around for quite awhile moving from spot to spot on the wire & flying up above the wok for a better look.........

P1010019_1.jpg

Gone......

P1010024_1.jpg

Done......

P1010028_1.jpg

This might be my new favorite thing on the Kettle.....

P1010034_1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Not an everyday cookup, but melt in your mouth tender can be had easy this way.....

Here's the rest of the gang.......

P1010005.jpg

Great idea... deep frying makes EVERYTHING taste better!

Shot thru with creole butter.....just like the first thing I ever saw deep fried.....

Here it is peeled......

P1010043_1.jpg

And after shot......

P1010047_1.jpg

A Cajun fellow that later married my neighbor did a turkey & showed me what gives in about '93 & I been shootin' tri-tip & all kinds of other stuff ever since, but usually for grilling & smoking.....

So, thanks, Bill Cancienne, for that demo long ago......this makes it come full circle for me........:grin::clap:

looks great.

that is quite the collection you have there. how many have you had fired up at the same time?

I've had ten running at once......some just to further smoke some bean pots & a holding tank for cooked stuff, so 7 actual cookers, plus.......

This was a favorite cook......6 butts on five Kettles.....

Jan29Danaedad064.jpg

Wow, what a different cook never seen one deep fried.

A bit of work for just that (wasn't frying anything else this time) but WOW......might be my new favorite thing from a Kettle.....or in the whole world, maybe........:clap:

ere's the rest of the gang.......

P1010005.jpg
It's like a weber nursery![/QUOTE]

The Kettle Orphanage is the actual name......:biggrin1:

how does your lady feel about all those grills

All the way in the back row, against the fence, all the way to the right, just where the tree branches come down there's one under a gray cover......that's her's......bought in 2011 while I was on vacation & she told me to call when we were about an hour & a half from home.....?

She cooked me & my buddy a full steak dinner, tater, salad, some other grilled stuff on HER grill........Why?
"Because I smelled all of yours & they all smelled like smoke !!!"

She used to rant & rave, then it was just eye-rolls for the next few......
.....when the Sequoia came home & was snuck into the back yard, this little signage went on.....

BadHabitsampSemi-Grails003.jpg

BadHabitsampSemi-Grails002.jpg

Then we turned the corner, so to speak.....the one up on the box on the right is an "E" Code 18.5" with a sidecar table holder....

P1010007.jpg

She located it in a thrift store & bought it for me....

This Blackie right in front she beat out two big burly guys in a foot race at a garage sale & nabbed for $10, with stainless tools included....

P1010006.jpg

No wonder I can't find kettle on Craigslist.

Only six of 31 came from C/L........ all the ones cooking butts in the picture up above were free.....people search me out to give me kettles.....I've cleaned & re-habbed some & given them to friends, relatives, Romans, countrymen, etc.

One neighbor gave me a choice little 18" Redhead, neighbor on the other side gave me an 18" new Blackie & I found one in a repo cleanout dumpster while walking the dawgs one morning....brand new, maybe 3 cooks......3 for free......175 foot radius of where they live now.....

So you see, it's not just another episode of "Hoarding: Buried Alive"......there's a story to each & every one & if they go to live somewhere else, the story gets told at the passing.....along with free charcoal & free cooking lessons, too........:grin:

Back