Lessons Learned from my first big cook

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
SO, this weekend came and went, and I managed to get 14 racks of ribs cooked on my Chargriller Pro between Sat and Sunday. ( Pron to follow, once I resize the pics )

couple of things I learned...

(1) welding blanket is a must, in cold weather.... It helped keep the temps up
(2) definitely didn't plan on the amount of charcoal I was going to use, but I had extra, so no issues there
(3) 4-5 bones per person, was a good estimate, with other food there. I think we could have gone 3-4, but it was better to have too much, than not enough. ( the ribs from BJ's Wholesale had 11 decent bones, the 12-13 were so small, I just trimmed them off )
(4) The CG can do up to 6 racks comfortably, but 8 is doable. in warm weather, 8 becomes easier, because the heat loss wouldn't be as great. but when it was 25 degrees out, I really didn't want to open the chamber lid more than I had to
(5) next time my boss says "hey, lets do this in December" say "no" too close to Christmas. :-D

BTW, I want to thank everyone who gave me advise on this endeavour. I honestly couldn't have done it without your help. The luncheon I cooked today was for my co-workers, along with the CIO and Associate CIO, so screwing up wasn't an option. I got rave reviews, and I have to be honest, they were pretty darn good. I am not sure I could come up with something that was wrong.. and I am pretty tough on myself, as far as finished product.

Anyhoo, thanks again everyone. PRON to follow

25 degrees? WHEW that's a chilly day. I completely agree also, it's always better to have too much than not enough.

it was 25 when I fired up the grill. Barely hit 30. :-D thats called grillin in upstate NY in December. It was the first time I had ever had the smoker out in December too...

Big.. no HUGE shoutout to btcg for all your help. The lunch was a hit, and people want me to do it again thanks to you

Back