Cooking on trailer ramp / deck

woodburner

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm changing things up in my Bbq world, I plan on cooking on my toy haulers ramp / deck area instead of being under the awning or a easy up. So my question, to keep from leaving a big ol competition Bbq skid mark on my ramp what do you guys put down to protect the ramp? I have 3 drum smokers so weight isn't a big issue, just want to keep my toy hauler nice as long as I can.

Thanks

Things I've seen:

• Rubber roll flooring
  • Linoleum tiles
  • Diamond plate (aluminum & steel)
  • Epoxy garage paint
  • Deck Paint
  • Entry mats

Our ramp has a textured coating on it that clean up well, but I put a heat proof mat by the firebox on my gravity fed cooker and a rubber mat in front of the doors just in case.

I would be more worried about the heat from the bottom of those barrels. Do you have them elevated on some sort of stands?

Mine is textured, and my goal is keep it looking good, and not catching on fire. I put my drums on wheels like Hunsaker has on their drums, so about 2 to 2 1/2" off the ground. And the very bottom doesn't get very hot ( heat rises ) Maybe I can find a burn proof inexpensive floor mat to protect it from accidents.

Mine is textured, and my goal is keep it looking good, and not catching on fire. I put my drums on wheels like Hunsaker has on their drums, so about 2 to 2 1/2" off the ground. And the very bottom doesn't get very hot ( heat rises ) Maybe I can find a burn proof inexpensive floor mat to protect it from accidents.

Yeah, heat rises, but the bottom of the drum get pretty hot. We cooked next to a team who had a couple of drums on grass and when they packed up there were two circles of bare dirt where the grass had burned away under the drum.

You can get some pretty heavy duty mats at Home Depot that are supposed to be burn proof. the one that I had for years was made of some sort of cement. It was very heavy.

You could also look at adding a diamond plate coating on the ramp, but I'm thinking that may be expensive.

Yeah, heat rises, but the bottom of the drum get pretty hot. We cooked next to a team who had a couple of drums on grass and when they packed up there were two circles of bare dirt where the grass had burned away under the drum.

You can get some pretty heavy duty mats at Home Depot that are supposed to be burn proof. the one that I had for years was made of some sort of cement. It was very heavy.

You could also look at adding a diamond plate coating on the ramp, but I'm thinking that may be expensive.

I think Diamond Plate is cheaper than a toy hauler :biggrin1:

I cook in an Assassin gravity feed and a WSM on my ramp/porch/deck of my trailer. I epoxy painted the wood with two coats of commercial grade paint. I put down grill mats in front of each cooker for easier cleanup and to prevent slips. I buy the mats from Academy at $10 each. I wash them out with a hose and replace after four or five uses.

My fabricator 2 cents...Consider pricing out good quality kevlar thread welding blankets. Could possibly use them as a "BBQ" outdoor carpet. Or perhaps a fail safe under layer for whatever else you go with. They would stow well, not wear out in that environment, and I have personally hit them with a acetylene torch to see what they can take. They take it to a bright orange hot, they are pretty tough. Also an air gap of sorts would be good as the bonded construction of most toy hauler doors would not behave well with prolonged spot heating from a drum base I'd think.

Last edited:
Back