Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Cheez just got one of the mini's. I am sure he will wander in and can provide an answer...

So I'm looking into a new pit and the LSG mini is near top of the list.

Question 1: How many full briskets can fit on the mini unit?

on each 17x22 grate you can fit 2 12LB-14LB briskets, so 8 total. they have 6" of clearance but if you need to fit more ask Chris to add a 5th grate. my insulated cabinet is similar in size with 6 17x21 racks with 4.5" of spacing and i can get 2 briskets on each rack.

My Covers By Mel cover arrived for my LSG Mini today. I got it bare bones with no zippers or Velcro. Looks like it will do it's job quite well.

Last edited:
I may need on of those.:idea:
Or maybe I will swing by and "borrow" yours. What was you address again?

Anyone try these casters from harbor freight? They show a weight of 480 lbs. I could get them for $16 with coupon. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-11-18-32-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-11-18-32-41.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 540
So my LSG IV arrives tomorrow afternoon. I've been waiting patiently.
Couple questions still

1. How long does it take to un crate it? Seems I have read they are crated well.
2. Water or no water....on my WSM- I dont use water...clay pot..
3. I have never use pans before, but have thought about it with this unit, just for ease, and keeping of cleanliness. Does it clean up easy?

I think thats my only questions...I plan to do a brisket/ribs/chicken, and a pork butt on it this weekend...thats a good break in.

Many hours to uncrate. Need a pry bar and big hammer. I cook with water and cook with 2 full sized foil pans on the bottom rack to catch grease. Makes it way easier to clean after use.

1. I always picked mine up, so don't know how long to uncrate.

2. I didn't use water in my WSM and don't in my cabinet. Get a wine cork to put in the water fill tube. I have two terra cotta bases in my water pan wrapped in foil.

3. It put two large aluminum trays on the bottom shelf with a piece of aluminum foil across the middle. Catches all the drippings and makes cleanup easy.

I had mine out of the crate in about 30 minutes. I used tin snips for the banding, two big crowbars and a 4 pound hammer. I was not looking to save any of the wood.

I have cooked with and without water in the pan. Water will help give you a better smoke ring but the cooker will eat a lot of charcoal. Like any other cooker water will also keep the temps down. At this point I'm not crazy about using water in my LSG. I like to cook at 275+ and water impedes this.

I do use a hotel pan on the bottom rack to catch the grease and the nasties. If I need the bottom rack for cooking then I put the hotel pan in the water pan and flatten it out some.

Well I pulled the trigger today on the LSG. Want to thank everybody on here for all the helpful information. This thread really helped me go with the LSG. Now the wait begins. Hope I get get the bad boy dialed in by football season. I am coming from cooking on a large BGE for the past 3 years. With a growing family need more capacity. I have no idea what I am doing, but cant wait to figure it out.

What I got.
Insulated Vertical Smoker
Steel Handle
8" Wheel T
T-Plates
Heat Diverter Plate
3 Extra Rails

Well I received the LSG IV today...the 18 wheeler had a little trouble getting into my cul de sac due to cars parked haphazardly..lucky he was not a novice. The thing seemed to almost not fit on the lift gate and was worried it was going to topple over..I controlled the down selection on the ramp for the driver. Got it uncrated in about 25 min (Thanks to my laser focused neighbor with big hammers and crow bars.) (They have a great nail gun there, and it was crated extremely well) Very impressed with the quality. Cannot wait to season it this weekend.

Dumb question - do you guys put any tef gel, or anti sieze on the threads for the ball valve locations?

I didn't put anything on the threads of mine. Just didn't see the need. Ball valves are brass and the nipples are steel. Get them tight and they will seal just fine. If for some reason you need to remove the valves they will come right off with a big wrench.

Lonestar's new videos show really nice refinements to the existing cookers. New stainless steel bar racks which increase spacing between racks to 6.75 inches, a 'chimney cap' inside the cooking area to prevent rain/condensation from hitting food, water plan is sloped for more easier drainage, and a drip edge was added to bottom of door to keep condensation in cooker. Nice.

FIred up the LSG yesterday afternoon for a seasoning. All went well. Went to bed, planning to use it this morning, was going to fire it up, and noticed it was still at 250 deg. (no water). I was surprised 3/4 bag of the 18.8lb kingsofrd lasted that long. So I pulled out the charcoal drawer, and packed the t plates I used back full of charcoal, and some wood chunks, threw a brisket on it, and a pork butt, ribs later and a turkey really soon.

I am still waiting for the call that they have started the build. My nerves are shot by the long wait. I have 120# of pork butts just waiting for my smoker to get here!

So after (1) use with this smoker, I loved it. Couple questions:

1) How long does it take normally to cool down once shutting intake/exhaust?
2) Do you normally get ash from the charcoal falling below the bottom pan? I think my circumstance of pouring a bunch of fresh charcoal on top of old coals attributed to this.
3) It ran at 250-275 flawlessly. For like 30 hours. Why would I want a GURU? Does it just help the temp come up faster after opening the door? I did not use water, and dialed it in and it held....and held...

Overall...VERY impressed with the first cook on it! Cant wait to use it this weekend.

It takes 3-5 hours for my mini to cool down after I shut everything down. That is in 80 plus degree weather.

I always rake up the unburned coals the next day or so after a cook. Then I mix them in with the new fuel on the next cook.

The Guru helps get pit back to temp faster after opening the cook chamber door It really is not a necessity with these cookers.

I bought the mini on Wed 5/25. Had a customer meeting in The Woodlands in the morning so afterwards went out to Conroe and met with Chris for about 45-50 min. Everything in this thread agrees with everything i saw with my eyes. High quality build/materials. Chris was great. The new upgrades are smart, specifically the catch at the top for rain/dripping.

I sold my Klose offset that i had for a decade last year to a buddy, after "mastering" the stick burner. My inherent laziness had taken over and i just didn't want to mess with fire in the Texas summers for 12-15 hours anymore. Was looking for a solution, and this was it.

If you are on the fence, and now that you are behind me in the que, pull the trigger.

Back