63-day Umai dry-aged ribeye harvest

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
63-day Umai dry-aged bone-in USDA prime ribeye

I thought maybe someone might be interested in seeing what these things look like. I got this 24 lb ribeye subprimal from Costco on a whim and ended up having to cut it in half just to fit the Umai bags that I had. A little over two weeks of procrastinating led to this subprimal turning 63 days old today. Now, I've done a 76-day ribeye just recently that I felt was just barely on the edible side of funky for me, so I told myself that I better just stop this one at 63 days.

Here's what it looks like out of the Umai bag:

Mp7fb4Yh.jpg

Outside is completely dry and hard...a sharp edged knife and a lot of elbow grease is needed to cut into this thing. That's why I was looking into acquiring a bandsaw recently.

Here's a peek into the inside with the end-crust sliced off:

D0SALZah.jpg

And here is the single beautiful 2.5 lb cowboy-type chop that I cut out:

MzQ1hoqh.jpg

I don't know what this technique is called when you take one bone in the middle and then cut all the way against the adjacent bones on each side to make a nice thick chop. This chop was about 3 inches thick and will be perfect for a special occasion for two.

The rest of this half-subprimal got the boneless treatment, so I ended up with the 2.5 lb cowboy chop above and a mini-boneless-roast that weighed about 2.5 lb as well. It's all lovely stuff. The difference between this and fresh meat is very pronounced...especially out of the sousvide...the aroma is very beefy and all-around enticing!

That's an awesome Cowboy Chop (steak).....

Nothing in the world beats the nutty earthy flavor of a dry-aged steak. The rich beefy flavor is just so intense as the moisture evaporates concentrating the flavor within.

Great Job jwtseng....

That looks ridiculous....I'm so jealous.

Yeah that sure looks good.

I've always heard of the 1 bone chop cut against the next two bones referred to as a Vegas cut. Same thing applies to ribs.

Fine looking Chop you have there ,my friend.I call that cut you describe as a "Cadillac Cut". I have never tried the bags,just commando.That is a fine looking primal you aged. :clap2:

Cool...Vegas cut, Cadillac cut....I wish you guys could smell the meat...it's unlike anything else!

Wow, can you use the trimmings for gravy?

Back