Posted my own thread but why not post here too?

26567576090_5f0cc89189_b.jpg

**Hunsaker Smokers Clone #2** #Insane Clone Posse

Newest addition to the Left Hand Smoke arsenal!

Hot 'n Fast baby!!

Scored me a real nice Weber lid the bottom was rusted out but it was free now to round up some more parts to build another UDS life is good cant wait for labor day wek end already got my Pork Butts

Hey everybody, why does it seem like I only get good smoke coming out of my UDS for maybe only 2 hours?

I'm using a full basket of Kingsford with hickory chunks that have been soaked for a few hours and scattered throughout the basket of charcoal. Even on the bottom of the basket. But it seems like after the first two hours, the smoke is done. Running at about 250 degrees.

"hickory chunks that have been soaked"
You do not need to soak the wood. You want to be seeing TBS (thin blue smoke). Almost invisible. Not heavy smoke.

I've been browsing through this thread for several days and noticed a few people are using long stem, kitchen thermometers through a grommet in the side of the drum as opposed to a normal BBQ thermometer. I kinda like this idea better since it gets a temp from closer to the cooking area. Is this just a normal candy/deep fry thermometer?

I use two deep fry thermometers in my UDS, one is short for temperatures near the side and the other is long enough to reach the center.

Decided to try the deep fry thermometer. Picked up a 1/4" barb fitting from lowes, works perfectly for the old thermometer I had laying around...

Attachments

• WP_20160525_001.jpg
    WP_20160525_001.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 595
  • WP_20160525_002.jpg
    WP_20160525_002.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 595
  • WP_20160525_020.jpg
    WP_20160525_020.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 597
Making my first uds. If I can do it, it will prove that anybody can. Here's my question: I drilled my holes in the barrel and today did a burn out, a raging inferno that lasted about 3 hours. Almost all the paint is off and the inside has a serious char. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning up the outside a bit and painting it. Do I really need to clean up the inside? My barrel didn't have a lining, and although it said the inside was sprayed with a rust inhibiter, it didn't seem to be much of one. A week after I got it some rust started showing up inside the barrel. I just fine it hard to believe that after that kind of burn there could be anything harmful left on the inside. If it's important I'll clean it out, but it seems like an awful lot of work for nothing. Thoughts?

I've read the first 500 pages of this awesome thread.
Thanks to the "If a redneck wanted to build..." thread and other ideas in this monster thread, I built my first UDS. Obviously I got a little carried away.
All thats left is some wood on the shelf brackets and a bottle opener.

The basket was made by rolling the expanded metal around a propane tank and and welded to a 16" pizza pan. The bottom is a charcoal grate from an smaller kettle.

The wheels, one of the grates, and the lid, all came from a new 22.5" kettle I purchased from Craigslist. I welded top 2" off the bottom of the kettle to the drum for the lid to mate to. I have two grates sitting on three stainless bolts just below the lid and 6" down.

The handle and the hinge where both made from scratch. The Hinge doubles as a handle to lean the drum back on the wheels and move it around.

I used High Temp grommets from Grainger to run the probes from a Maverick ET-73 to the inside. It didn't look like a UDS without the analog temp gauge on the front so I added that just for looks and a back up reference point.

My son gets credit for the awesome paint job.

The first two cooks, ( a Fatty then a Picnic ) turned out good, but the Wife wasn't fond of the taste.

For the third cook I did some ribs but switched from Kingsford briquettes to Royal Oak Lump. Although I had a little more trouble holding a steady temp with the Lump, she liked the taste a lot better. The ribs were about 6 hours with just a few spritzes with apple juice and I did not foil. I think they turned out pretty good.

I may experiment with a diffuser to see how that affects the taste.

My wife thinks its hilarious as I have never cooked more than frozen pizza until now.

Wow! What a nice build. I am impressed.

Making my first uds. If I can do it, it will prove that anybody can. Here's my question: I drilled my holes in the barrel and today did a burn out, a raging inferno that lasted about 3 hours. Almost all the paint is off and the inside has a serious char. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning up the outside a bit and painting it. Do I really need to clean up the inside? My barrel didn't have a lining, and although it said the inside was sprayed with a rust inhibiter, it didn't seem to be much of one. A week after I got it some rust started showing up inside the barrel. I just fine it hard to believe that after that kind of burn there could be anything harmful left on the inside. If it's important I'll clean it out, but it seems like an awful lot of work for nothing. Thoughts?

If yours didn't have a liner, most guys just washed it out with a power washer or taken to a car wash to use theirs, then seasoned asap to avoid rust. If seasoning isn't an option, spray with cooking spray.

If you're worried about the interior rust after the burn, well personally I'd just make sure that whatever I coat the inside with to season (I used bacon grease) I'd hit the rust spot extra hard to make sure it got a good coating over it. But that's just me. The one take away I had from this thread is that everyone's comfort levels are different.

Last edited:
Def, thanks for the reply. Not worried about rust on the inside. I buffed out what little there was right before the burn out. Just want to make sure I don't end up making noxious Q.

I found me a Weber grill on the curb bottom rotten lid good doesn't fit My 1st UDS but fits another drum I have
Time for another build
FYI I am still looking for oak skids to build a wood lid

I ve seen a lot of very nice drums, i found the brethren a few years ago and have never posted. I made a drum about 2 years ago and is very happy with it once seeing how it holds perfect temps. Always have to keep feeding my off smoker. Dont know kow to post pics, just want to say thank you all for teaching me. Darryl

BSTOMPER
I asked awhile back if anyone had done one and was advised to post pictures .I am a carpenter with years of experience but limited funds for some 5/4 Oak to make a flat lid
planning on putting a deep v groove hopping the weight will create a good seal
not sure yet what style of smoke stack

Last edited:
Can anybody tell if this barrel has the dreaded liner or if it is just painted on the inside? The description says it was used to ship "food product, contents was in plastic bags". The listing specifically says for use as ugly drum smoker, but I don't put much stock in that...

00d0d_9AIHAFBZ5tq_600x450.jpg

Back