• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A newb with a new toy

bgibs1

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I just got my new OC Over Under home and am anxious to get smoking! I was wondering about seasoning it first. Is it ok just to coat it in Canola oil and run it for a few hours? Or is there some other step needed? I've been reading a lot and am a little lot in all the info. One more question.. do people really coat the outside of the smoker with WD40??? Doesn't that stink like crazy?

Thanks
Billy

Welocme to the Brethren. Canola and heat fo a few hours will do fine. I actually prefer the spray canola, seems easier to get thin coats but regular old canola is fine too. I would NOT use WD40 on the cooker, I would wait to see how the exterior paint holds up and if/when you stsrt to see some rust hit it with the same canola spray. Best of luck.

Congrats on the new cooker! Glad to have you join us and always listen to Dave.

Congrats on your new smoker!! Yes to canola oil and you can also put it on outside of cook chamber.....but NO wd40!!

Congrats on the new cooker, the OC O/U is a nice little stick burner.

Good rule of thumb is: would I want me or my family to eat what I'm about to spray on the cooker? WD40 is not in the cards for me at least.

The lone exception that proves the rule is touching up the firebox with high heat paint and that is outside the firebox far away from the cook chamber

You might wanna wash inside out with soap n water first as cutting oil and metal drillings/shavings etc are usually in there.

You might wanna wash inside out with soap n water first as cutting oil and metal drillings/shavings etc are usually in there.

Plus most steel cookware that is subject to rusting (cast iron pans, carbon steel woks/paellas, etc.) come covered with a very thin coat of food grade wax. It won't hurt you if you don't scrub it off, but personally, I'd rather not eat it. I'm not saying yours came with any wax on it (my COS did when I got it), but like Smitty said, a quick scrub with soap and warm water will do your new toy well regardless. Then just season as described above.

Thanks for the pointers, I have her all oiled up and shes about 250 so far. And no.... no WD40!

Thank you!! WD40 is akin to lighter fluid and match light, it's the butt of jokes around here. I don't even use a weed burner. I go with food grade wax firestarters and try to be strict about what goes near my cooker

Back