Drying comp rubs

DR

Take a breath!
So I'm terrible about buying too much at one time. Now i have a couple big jars of rub that are kinda caked up. I stirred one last night with a fork and got it broke up, but you can tell its still kinda wet (Not wet so to speak, but thick and you can tell the humidity got in there).

My question is, has anyone spread any rub out on a cookie sheet and baked them at a super low temp for a couple minutes to try to dry their comp rubs out?

DR

I'd like to know this one too! I always have clumpy rubs from the humidity.

This is why I buy in bulk and vacuum seal what I won't be using right away

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
I have used a "brown sugar bear" in my rubs with some pretty good success. Instead of soaking, I leave em dry and they control the moisture pretty good over the winter when I am not using as much rub.
You can find em on Amazon or with other kitchen gadgets at target or Walmart.

• Thanks
Ok this weekend i took about half a small bottle and tried to dry it out. I took a cookie sheet and cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil (Easier to get the rub back in the shaker). Set my oven on 150* and dried it for 15 minutes. It worked really well and the rub was about 85% back to normal. But like Steph said, i was worried about the quality being compromised. I spoke to Darian at Kosmos, and he said yes it can be done but he suggested putting a cracker in the shaker instead of baking it. SO all in all, yes it can be done with a fair amount of success, but the quality is up for discussion. Rub still tasted good so I'm not sure what to think about that part.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Assuming this problem is from leaving them in the trailer, as that is where I have the problem too. I now put two layers of saran wrap over the top before screwing the lid on. This has helped alot, but still thinking of getting a plastic tool box or such to carry in and out before each contest.

• Thanks
This is a huge problem for teams down here in Houston. Rubs will clump on me if I keep them in my pantry inside my air conditioned house. I've started putting all my normal sized rub shakers inside a 2 gallon ziploc, and then throwing in a couple silica packets. Then for my bigger containers and bulk bags, I put a silica packet inside each one.

I have found though, that there seem to be two different ways that they clump up. Brown sugar, and things with brown sugar seem to clump up when the molasses doesn't have enough moisture. The molasses dries out and starts clumping together I guess? For things that dry out even when I put silica packets, I've started throwing half a slice of white bread in, and have had good results.

These are the silica packets I use - [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-Packets-Desiccant-Dehumidifiers/dp/B00DYKTS9C"]Amazon.com: 5 Gram Pack of 50 "Dry&dry" Silica Gel Packets Desiccant Dehumidifiers: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

• Thanks
I keep all my rubs, brown sugar, honey, etc. in an airtight storage tote that gets easily moved between downstairs pantry and trailer for comps. I really like it. Easy to haul around, keeps all the rubs organized and in one place, and it fits standard sized shakers and quart sized jars perfectly.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR8-72-Crate-Utility-Large/dp/B01L3ZN78M"]Amazon.com: MTM ACR8-72 Ammo Crate Utility Box with 7.25" Deep, Large, Dark Earth: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

• Thanks
Back