Pork butt on a UDS

cardiac_cadet002

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I finally got to use my UDS for the first time yesterday. I smoked a turkey and a pork butt. The turkey came out really well, but the pork butt didn't do so well. When it was finished I let it sit for an hour before tearing in to it. To my surprise, it didn't pull like it should, it was really tough, almost like it was baked at 350 degrees for 4 hours. I usually inject a mixture of apple cider vinegar and apple juice but I didn't do it this time. I know this is an age old debate, but do you think this might have been why it didn't turn out right or do you think it may be something else. I smoked it at 220-250 degrees about 7 or 8 hours. Thanks guys in advance.

what was the temp inside the meat i pull mine at 200 let it rest wraped in foil and a towel in a cooler for an hour then pull it or chop it

could it be also I put the fatty side down to act as a heat shield? I usually cook fatty side up so the juices baste the meat as they run down.

I agree w. the internal temp. I use to take mine to 195..they were "ok" but never pulled, or shredded like I wanted them to. I then pulled at 200 and let them sit for an hour....that extra 5 degrees made a difference. I have quick cooked butt befor at 350 for 5 hours and it comes out perfect

I have also mopped in the past with apple juice, but failed to do so this time. After reading some of the other post I assume this is why I didn't get any bark this time.

The last 2 cooks I did with butts on the UDS, I noticed one cooked slower than the other.
Both times 16lb of bone in butts cut in a cryovac. Try coolering them longer.

Sounds like a temp problem to me... 195 internal should do the trick. I'd check that probe. Give the bone a little wiggle as well. If it feels like you could pull it out it is ready.

Also I forgot to mention that the butt had a subtle acrid taste on the surface. I didn't think much about it, but when I got home today and cleaned out the UDS, I noticed that same smell in the bottom of the barrel. Could it be the wood I'm using, or maybe it was the charcoal itself. I am pretty sure I burned off the lining of the barrel. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have been reading the thread on the UDS and you don't mention if you flipped it during the cook which is suggested because it's direct heat. I'm still burning my barrel and looking for a weber lid.

Back